Motorbikes in traffic

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Turbo wrote:
Delta_246 wrote:You missed the classic of motorbikes weaving in and out off trafic to get to the front of the que........

Only for the coppers halting traffic to walk down with the ticket books
What did they do wrong?
I always thought it was illegal for bikes to drive between cars because they are creating an extra lane? also its dangerous. once a guy on a motorbike done this on canning hwy and he actually broke my side mirror...

so now if i see one coming inbetween the lanes a try to get my car as close to the line as possible so they cant get past my car. :twisted:
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

donks wrote:I always thought it was illegal for bikes to drive between cars because they are creating an extra lane? also its dangerous. once a guy on a motorbike done this on canning hwy and he actually broke my side mirror...

so now if i see one coming inbetween the lanes a try to get my car as close to the line as possible so they cant get past my car. :twisted:

Its not illegal actually if done correctly.

So maybe stop attempting to block passing motorbikes, thats what makes it dangerous.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

It's legal as long as they don't change lanes without indicating.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Cedric street off ramp closed this morning due to single car accident around 8am. Appered 1 car into light pole and guard rails and looked like a hard hit. Fesa in attendance as well as police marking out the scene. Hope all ok from it.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Turbo wrote:
donks wrote:I always thought it was illegal for bikes to drive between cars because they are creating an extra lane? also its dangerous. once a guy on a motorbike done this on canning hwy and he actually broke my side mirror...

Its not illegal actually if done correctly.

So maybe stop attempting to block passing motorbikes, thats what makes it dangerous.
but im staying in my lane.. thats legal.. too bad if they cant get past..
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Fastlane wrote:It's legal as long as they don't change lanes without indicating.
i dont mean them just changing lanes... but say at a red light, when they zoom down inbetween the lanes next to all the cars.. i have been told by numerous people thats not legal???
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Numerous people have been lying to you. If done correctly its perfectly legal. I do it past police cars all the time and have never had a problem.

Please stop trying to block motorbikes. Its stupid, dangerous and pointless.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Where does it say its legal? If two cars are parked or moving together at the same level then they are occupying the lanes and if a motorbike comes in between them there are three vehicles in two legal lanes. Surely that is not legal?
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Toottoot wrote:Where does it say its legal? If two cars are parked or moving together at the same level then they are occupying the lanes and if a motorbike comes in between them there are three vehicles in two legal lanes. Surely that is not legal?
my point exactly... my driving instructor told me that bikes are not meant to create a third lane on a 2 lane road....

and too bad if bikes cant get past me if my car is close to the line...

also.. whats the 'correct' way to do it? just out of curiosity
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

donks wrote:
Toottoot wrote:Where does it say its legal? If two cars are parked or moving together at the same level then they are occupying the lanes and if a motorbike comes in between them there are three vehicles in two legal lanes. Surely that is not legal?
my point exactly... my driving instructor told me that bikes are not meant to create a third lane on a 2 lane road....

and too bad if bikes cant get past me if my car is close to the line...

also.. whats the 'correct' way to do it? just out of curiosity
Danny, Walks, Chev or anyone else that can put an end to this care to advise which party is correct and which is incorrect, so that we can move on?
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

For example;

At a set of traffic lights, it is perfectly legal for a motorbike to filter down the middle, as long as they indicate and dont cross the solid white line near the end. Its also legal to go down the left hand side.

I honestly cant believe you try to block bikes because you assume its illegal.

Something like 70% of car v bikes are the cars fault.

Blocking bikes is only gonna end up with abuse and probably a dented car.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Turbo wrote:For example;

At a set of traffic lights, it is perfectly legal for a motorbike to filter down the middle, as long as they indicate and dont cross the solid white line near the end. Its also legal to go down the left hand side.

I honestly cant believe you try to block bikes because you assume its illegal.

Something like 70% of car v bikes are the cars fault.

Blocking bikes is only gonna end up with abuse and probably a dented car.
whos to say i dont just drive near the line normally.. heck.. im not crossing into other peoples lanes.. i dont 'block them becaue i assume its illegal'.. so many people do it.. not having a stab at bike riders.. 90% are good riders and do the right thing.. you just get the 10% that give them a bad name.. but its the same with motorists too...
Angus

Post by Angus »

Personally I don't have a problem with bikers passing everybody at the stoplights as long as they do it in a normal manner and don't put anybody in danger.
i.e. no speeding,wheelies etc.etc.
Hell I would if i was on a bike...for sure.
And on top of that..If you're sitting on a bike at the end of the line that's waiting for the lights to go green...imagine getting rearended or something like that....nah thanks.
I reckon that people that don't like the idea of bikers passing them at the lights are jealous in some way.
On the 7th day...god created the turd
On the 8th day...Ford made it move
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Angus wrote:Personally I don't have a problem with bikers passing everybody at the stoplights as long as they do it in a normal manner and don't put anybody in danger.
i.e. no speeding,wheelies etc.etc.
Hell I would if i was on a bike...for sure.
And on top of that..If you're sitting on a bike at the end of the line that's waiting for the lights to go green...imagine getting rearended or something like that....nah thanks.
I reckon that people that don't like the idea of bikers passing them at the lights are jealous in some way.
you have a good point. i guess its safer for a bike to be sitting between 2 cars where it cant get reaqr ended or something. i didnt have a problem with them doing it until this one guy was belting down the middle and broke off my mirror... which cost me $150 to fix which shouldnt of even broken in the first place.. the fact that he took off too.. atleast i know his fingers would have been hurtin for a bit.
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

Turbo is correct. This has been covered by many forums, including PSB - bikes are allowed to approach between vehicles providing they don't cross marked lines and are not crossing or obstructing traffic. (No, forcing you to wait for them to go isn't considered obstructing!)

Bikes are entitled to pass cars on the left for roundabouts and similar also.