warsug

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

is this site slowly dying?

yes
35%
no
65%

Total votes: 34

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

jmmw wrote:If such a thread is under the off-topic banner what exactly qualifies for off topic?
Yeah that's right, try and confuse us by throwing logic into it!! :)

Good question by the way ... Sit back and relax, coz this is gonna get complicated.

These are just my own thoughts off the top of my head. I'm not trying to speak for anyone else here of course, but the way I see it, there's off topic and there's off topic...

Posting about ambulances in the police section is obviously off-topic for that particular section and the thread would probably end up getting moved or closed. That's "type 1" off-topic-ness :)

A thread about ambulances, in the ambulance forum is obviously on-topic, but the half-dozen or so posts about purchasing a pushbike in the middle of the discussion is off-topic for that particular thread. Let's call that "type 2" off-topic-ness :)

In any thread, there's always going to be a few posts that aren't strictly on-topic as people respond to things that others have written. I dunno about other people, but my brain tends to go off on a tangent sometimes and a conversation can swing from one topic to another without any conscious effort to do so.

Providing that the general "flow" of the conversation is still mostly heading in the right direction, and there's no flame-bait in there, then there's every chance that the off-topic stuff will probably just stay put.

Of course, there's always going to be exceptions and here's where the job of moderating gets tricky - the posts that are off-topic for that particular thread might be pretty good material anyway, and don't deserve to be deleted. The best option for that might be to split those posts into a new "pushbike-buying" thread, so the original thread can continue on it's course without distractions. Or, if the off-topic-ness has died down of it's own accord, then starting a whole new thread probably isn't worth the effort.

Off-topic posts may also be someone's effort at trying to cause a stir and most of the time, the best thing to do would be to just get rid of it. That raises all sorts of other questions ... As a moderator, what do you do with people's responses that quote the stuff you just deleted, but add new on-topic stuff to the discussion? Do you delete those posts too, or leave them (also referencing stuff that's not there any more), or edit them to remove the off-topic stuff but leave the on-topic stuff?

Every topic is different, and moderating a forum isn't an exact science. Mods or admins have to use their best judgement in each case. That means that a decision to trash a few troublesome posts might be appropriate in one thread, and locking or closing the entire thread might be appropriate in another.

That's inevitably going to cause questions about inconsistency in moderating, as there's seldom the time or the space to explain each and every moderating decision, and why a certain course of action was appropriate this time, but not last time, etc.

Jmmw, I bet you didn't expect a long-winded answer like this, but it got me thinking, and I've simply tried to explain how I approach the task of moderating a forum. Some may say it's like trying to herd cats :)

In the end, my objective is to leave the threads and the posts interesting enough for people to read, and for us all to learn from each other, but not leave anything there that's going to cause arguments and unpleasantness.

Last of all, before I wear this keyboard out ... if anyone has any questions, comments or concerns about material in the forum, PLEASE bring it to the attention of a moderator, or Gavin or myself. We'll do the best we can to keep as many people happy as possible, and to be fair to everyone.

Hope this helps and I haven't sent too many people to sleep!

Cheers,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
luke

Post by luke »

do i have to read all of that.. :shock kinda long
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Last edited by Cloverfield on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Styles can be applied quickly to selected text! meh!
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

luke wrote:do i have to read all of that.. :shock kinda long

**YES** :roll:
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by AV201 »

auntys_eyes wrote:
luke wrote:do i have to read all of that.. :shock kinda long

**YES** :roll:
Nuh! someone who read all that...summarise? :lol:
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

AV201 wrote:Nuh! someone who read all that...summarise? :lol:
SUMMARY: "Hey kids! Play nice!" :lol:
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by AV201 »

Zebedee wrote:
AV201 wrote:Nuh! someone who read all that...summarise? :lol:
SUMMARY: "Hey kids! Play nice!" :lol:
:lol: sounds fair enough, done deal...thats all you had to say in the 1st place :wink: :lol:
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

My answer was Yes
Why? Too many try hards and a few people who need to get a life/ more of a life.
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

How about a joke thread? :lol: