grrgr

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

Bonez

Post by Bonez »

When I was there a couple of years ago, the Telstra agreement had ended, and due to the network not being worth much in terms of revenue to Telstra (plus expenses in maintaining it) they told GWN that they could continue to use it for the existing price until the day it died. It's really old school technology that's been in use for a very long time, and if it's not on it's way out it's already way gone.

There is 1 satellite signal transmitted from the studio in Canberra, and that is the North west version of GWN. It is then downlinked in Bunbury, and using remotely controlled equipment in the Bunbury studio's, they insert south west ads and then send it on it's way to the Mt Lennard transmitter.

The way that Margaret River works is that it just takes an 'off-air' feed (anotherwords, what you see at home if you lived in Bunbury with a normal TV antenna on your roof) and re-transmits it to everyone in Margs.

The reason being is that both the Mt Lennard and Margaret river transmitters are high enough to be able to recieve signals from each other, but not everybody's TV antennas at their house are able to do that :)

The great southern ads are also inserted from the Bunbury studios the same way as the south west ads.

It's all remotely controlled from Canberra, which is quite scary in a way, but I believe it works fairly well for them. They had quite a few hiccups in the first 12 months of switching over though, that's for sure.
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

Makes sense now, up at the State Emergancy Service depo theres a tv tower thier. on the side of it is a vhf directional antenna mounted on the side and it looks as if its pointing to bukukup mt lenord if thats where your refereing to? bukurukup?
i here down in a slight small vally can recive the burukup transmition as well as the repeated signal from the ses tower so yes that must be it.

thanks mate!
youve brought back 2005 for me.