Spam Posts?

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

auntys_eyes

Spam Posts?

Post by auntys_eyes »

What's with the spam posts that have started to appear?? Are these people (supposedly located in the USA) actually going out of their way to register on WARSUG, just so they can post spam!!! or is this s*!t being randomly computer generated? :x

Anyway, good to see that the powers that be are removing them from the forums.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
yorky

Post by yorky »

They are generally bots that register with the site and then spam, or overseas people signing up and spamming. Difficult to stop them unfortunately (kind of like those overseas calls you get all the time wanting you to change your provider etc).
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

i find it amusing how they take the time to post it in the right section
yorky

Post by yorky »

nah I've seen them posted in almost every section here.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

I think the only way for it to be fixed would be to make it so that when you sign up, an email is sent to the site admin to approve the membership.

This seems to stop most spam, as I used to face the same problem on a Yahoo group that i'm an owner of.

What are your thoughts Gavin? I know you're out there somewhere ;)
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Bonez wrote:I think the only way for it to be fixed would be to make it so that when you sign up, an email is sent to the site admin to approve the membership.

This seems to stop most spam, as I used to face the same problem on a Yahoo group that i'm an owner of.

What are your thoughts Gavin? I know you're out there somewhere ;)
Well, an email is sent back to the person activating the account, mostly to check that an account isn't being registered in someone else's name...

The idea of having an admin approve all new registrations has merit, but would end up being another source of complaints ... "I had to wait two days before my account was approved. You guys suck!" :)

Compared to some forums I've seen, we get off fairly lightly. However if you happen to notice an obvious spam thread, just drop Gavin or myself a private message and we'll remove the thread and cancel the registration of the spammer. For now that's probably the easiest way to deal with things...

Cheers,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

That's good advice Zebedee, i'm glad i bought the subject up. If the users of this forum follow your advice we should be able to keep a lid on the spam.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Bonez wrote: What are your thoughts Gavin? I know you're out there somewhere ;)
Wha? Who? Me? :-)

To register and post on this forum means that a spammer has to actually sign up with a valid email address and either manually or automatically respond to the "click on this URL to activate your membership" URL. As Zeb said, it's practically impossible to differentiate between bots and people when the bots do all the right things.

The number of accounts owned by bots that try and sign up with fake email addresses (and don't appear on the membership list because their account is disabled until they confirm) is about half the number of active members - and growing.

I'd like nothing more than to find all the spammers in the world and string them up by their thumbs, but sadly that's not going to happen :-(
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

I'm sure Gav and Zeb think the only time I talk to them on MSN is to notify them of spam! :lol:
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

Chicky wrote:I'm sure Gav and Zeb think the only time I talk to them on MSN is to notify them of spam! :lol:
I am sure thats probably the only time I speak to Gav is when there is spam. Sorry Zeb I would talk to you as well but don't have you in my msn. :lol:
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Donga wrote:
Chicky wrote:I'm sure Gav and Zeb think the only time I talk to them on MSN is to notify them of spam! :lol:
I am sure thats probably the only time I speak to Gav is when there is spam. Sorry Zeb I would talk to you as well but don't have you in my msn. :lol:
Nobody loves me <sniff!>

hehe.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

We all love you Zeb.