Helitacs @ Lesmurdie - Pics & Vids

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
auntys_eyes

Helitacs @ Lesmurdie - Pics & Vids

Post by auntys_eyes »

Hi all. These pictures of Helitacs 681, 682, 668 & 669 were taken at Ray Owen Reserve in Lesmurdie, which was the refuelling point during the fire in Lesmurdie Falls National Park on Monday 16/12/10. Sorry about the resolution/quality but as i was on the job i only had my phone for pics.

I have also uploaded the following videos. Again the reso/quality is a bit crappy as they're off the phone.

Helitac 681 landing

Helitac 669 taking off

Helitac 668 taking off
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: Helitacs @ Lesmurdie - Pics & Vids

Post by written_ficton »

spiffing stuff there chap!
I've closed the door!
hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by hold3n »

nice pictures and videos. i noticed that they have wig wag lights. is that fore visability or...?
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH DFES OR BFB
Closing the door for a while.
yorky

Post by yorky »

They are actually red and blue LED flashers, although I think the larger aircraft have landing light wig wags?

They denote that it is an emergency vehicle, in operation. You'll find most/all have sirens as well to alert ground crews that they are operating in the area/dropping loads.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Yes, the Helitacs do have sirens. They set them off as they are making a drop pass. Mighty helpfull on the fire ground because after a while you get used to the helicopters constantly passing over head, so when one comes in with its siren sounding you know a drop is coming.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by hold3n »

in video http://www.youtube.com/user/yokine8#p/u/5/UBw8gvFDAkI it was the vih new helitacs and it had white lights with wig wags
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH DFES OR BFB
Closing the door for a while.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

yorky wrote:They are actually red and blue LED flashers, although I think the larger aircraft have landing light wig wags?

They denote that it is an emergency vehicle, in operation. You'll find most/all have sirens as well to alert ground crews that they are operating in the area/dropping loads.

they are actually just plain white lights, not red and blue.

I also feel that its got nothing to do with the emergency aircraft status, rather used to scare off birds, not sure how, but thats what i have been told by Qantas Engineers

Qantas have wig wag landing lights on their 737 underbelly lights (in fact one has been wired up wrong, it actually has a flashing tail logo light) and they are far from an emergency aircraft
also alot of smaller Prop aircraft have them, the Dash 8's have flashing lights on the nose wheel, i have also seen some Private jets with wig wag landing lights.
obzelite

Post by obzelite »

video of 682, in slow motion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXuZu1FoJvQ
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

AO11912 wrote:
yorky wrote:They are actually red and blue LED flashers, although I think the larger aircraft have landing light wig wags?

they are actually just plain white lights, not red and blue.

I also feel that its got nothing to do with the emergency aircraft status, rather used to scare off birds, not sure how, but thats what i have been told by Qantas Engineers

Qantas have wig wag landing lights on their 737 underbelly lights (in fact one has been wired up wrong, it actually has a flashing tail logo light) and they are far from an emergency aircraft
also alot of smaller Prop aircraft have them, the Dash 8's have flashing lights on the nose wheel, i have also seen some Private jets with wig wag landing lights.
RFDS's fleet also have them, and i think air asia A320's have them too
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!