Victoria Police - TMU SS Commodore

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
Warlord

Victoria Police - TMU SS Commodore

Post by Warlord »

Last edited by Warlord on Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elm

Post by elm »

Yum. All it needs is some BIG BRIGHT red or yellow stripes (t distinguish it from a taxi) and this car is fit for heaven :)
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

elm wrote:Yum. All it needs is some BIG BRIGHT red or yellow stripes (t distinguish it from a taxi) and this car is fit for heaven :)
Taxi? Since when do taxis have mag wheels like that? :-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
elm

Post by elm »

Dude, open your eyes!
;-)

No, seriously: your standard, run of the mill copcar is a white falcon or a commodore, has a bar on the roof, some reflective stuff on the side and drives around. Your standard, run of the mill taxi is a white falcon or commodore, has some reflective stuff on the side, and a bar on the roof.

Beg to differ?
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

All Taxi's in Melbourne are Yellow.

All marked Police cars have the word 'Police' on them.
All Taxi's have the word 'Taxi' on them.
All marked Police cars have white and blue chequers on them.
All Taxi's have green and silver chequers on them.

I can't recall ever confusing the two here in Melbourne. :shock:
elm

Post by elm »

Warlord wrote:All Taxi's in Melbourne are Yellow.

All marked Police cars have the word 'Police' on them.
All Taxi's have the word 'Taxi' on them.
All marked Police cars have white and blue chequers on them.
All Taxi's have green and silver chequers on them.

I can't recall ever confusing the two here in Melbourne. :shock:
Haven't been to Melbourbne for ages. Taxis in NSW are white, occ silver. Perth they're white with occ multicolours flying around.

Think of someone in a distressing situation. They're might be a slight mixup. The possibility is there. IMHO that possibility should be eliminated, seeing that It woudn't really cost much or take much effort.

But I do admit that I'm nitpicking. Probably the german side of me (where all taxis are cream coloured, and police cars used to be green and white, now pretty much all silver and blue).
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

Haven't been to Melbourbne for ages. Taxis in NSW are white, occ silver. Perth they're white with occ multicolours flying around.

Think of someone in a distressing situation. They're might be a slight mixup. The possibility is there. IMHO that possibility should be eliminated, seeing that It woudn't really cost much or take much effort.

But I do admit that I'm nitpicking. Probably the german side of me (where all taxis are cream coloured, and police cars used to be green and white, now pretty much all silver and blue).
So what do you propose we do for distressed guests from overseas where our taxis or other vehicles might resemble their own home city emergency vehicles? We could go on and on for years, and then even when we come with a solution, somewhere there will be some city who's taxis resemble another countries emergency vehicles.

My point being, you won't be able to come up with something to please everyone and eliminate all possible confusion. The human factor can make even the most obvious seem non-existant.

(You even touched on my point in your response.... :wink: )
elm

Post by elm »

No no no, I don't care about overseas people (well I do, but not for this problem anyway).

Ultimately I would want Emergency vehicles to stick out like dogs balls: hi-vis and no mistake whatsoever. Taxis can stay as they are, but police cars need to be instantly recognisable. I propose a big red stripe, or something else strinkingly. The WAPOL Highway patrol cars are getting there.

I just think that standard blue and white checkers on a white car is a bit underwhelming.

But with time we'll get there!
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

LOL WTF?

Talk about arguing over nothing!

Elm has a point sometimes police cars look like taxis at night from a distance when they have the sign illumination light on, same thing use to happen to Melville Security vehicles and the problem is people will jump out into the road in order to flag you down.

Except about changing the blue checkered mark ups you can't change that.

Elm is right, warlord is arguing for the sake of it to be facetious.

Voila argument solved.

You're Welcome.
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

warlord is arguing for the sake of it to be facetious.
Err no not really. I am not arguing at all. A member raised an issue, and I provided some points for thought.

If you want to accuse me of something I am not doing then I will react accordingly. (Or just ignore you, it depends on the stupidity level of your comment).

I will say things such as during the 80's and 90's studies were undertaken here in Australia to decide on a national standard for Police and emergency vehicles. Victoria was one of the first to accept that standard. It also took into account International factors but found due to the wide range of variants used it was impossible to adopt a single one for international standards. So they just went for a national one.

The study was done around the same time as the one for reds and blues as apposed to just blues for police and reds for fire and ambos.

The standard included the nationally accepted blue and white chequers and the word Police to be included on the markings. Those factors were chosen as it was felt after the studies these would be the most recognisable features for everyone visiting our nation. (That being those here and those who may visit).

Some states chose the capital letter variant (POLICE), where as others, due to the political and social climate on certain events only chose the lower case variant (Police) as it was seen as less authoritarian. (Such as Victoria due to all the then recent amount of Police shootings).

If you stopped lurking in peoples minds as your sig alludes too and thought about your own irrational accusations and checked your history on such things your arguement, or rather allegation, would probably get a little substance to it.

Also:
people will jump out into the road in order to flag you down.
Geez at night any oncoming car with a set of highlights could be confused with a Taxi by someone. Given that should we take headlights off Police Cars too just in case? :roll:

This would be where my comment about the human factor in a previous post would enter the thread again.

I don't quite get where you've got the idea the Police or Emergency serivces need to be the ones to adopt yet another standard when they have already chosen one and it had been other agencies (that being security companies, Taxi companies) that have adopted similar markings since then.

The emergency services could change numerous times, but there will always be some sort of company to adopt similar markings to them for marketing purposes.

There is even a thread on this site that proves my last point perfectly;
http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?t=2655
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Warlord wrote:
Err no not really. I am not arguing at all. A member raised an issue, and I provided some points for thought.

If you want to accuse me of something I am not doing then I will react accordingly. (Or just ignore you, it depends on the stupidity level of your comment).

I will say things such as during the 80's and 90's studies were undertaken here in Australia to decide on a national standard for Police and emergency vehicles. Victoria was one of the first to accept that standard. It also took into account International factors but found due to the wide range of variants used it was impossible to adopt a single one for international standards. So they just went for a national one.

The study was done around the same time as the one for reds and blues as apposed to just blues for police and reds for fire and ambos.

The standard included the nationally accepted blue and white chequers and the word Police to be included on the markings. Those factors were chosen as it was felt after the studies these would be the most recognisable features for everyone visiting our nation. (That being those here and those who may visit).

Some states chose the capital letter variant (POLICE), where as others, due to the political and social climate on certain events only chose the lower case variant (Police) as it was seen as less authoritarian. (Such as Victoria due to all the then recent amount of Police shootings).

If you stopped lurking in peoples minds as your sig alludes too and thought about your own irrational accusations and checked your history on such things your arguement, or rather allegation, would probably get a little substance to it.

Also:
people will jump out into the road in order to flag you down.
Geez at night any oncoming car with a set of highlights could be confused with a Taxi by someone. Given that should we take headlights off Police Cars too just in case? :roll:

This would be where my comment about the human factor in a previous post would enter the thread again.

I don't quite get where you've got the idea the Police or Emergency serivces need to be the ones to adopt yet another standard when they have already chosen one and it had been other agencies (that being security companies, Taxi companies) that have adopted similar markings since then.

The emergency services could change numerous times, but there will always be some sort of company to adopt similar markings to them for marketing purposes.

There is even a thread on this site that proves my last point perfectly;
http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?t=2655

LOL!

Not arguing at all!
Someone needs a hug :)

I still think you're wrong though and judging by the length of your post and the fact that only a small portion is on the topic of taxis it seems as though you're too stubborn to admit it!
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Gotta agree with warlord here. He has quite clearkly stated in VICTORIA. If you confuse a taxi with a cop car in vic, you need your head read. As he stated in victoria ALL taxis must be yellow as its the industry standard. (one day wa will catch up and adopt a standard for the industry not just individual companies).

Warlord has a vast level of knowledge of emergency vehicles /services and can provide the forum with heaps of fantastic shots and information, why run down the true members.

Thats my say anyway
elm

Post by elm »

Eeeeasy there people! Didn't want to start a brawl, only stating my opinion. Though I do like the discussion (fact based).

Too ealry in the mrngin, but I should start up a new thread where this can be discussed more in depth.

Back to topic :)
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

i was talking about WA.
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

i was talking about WA.
Next time I'll recharge my ESP batteries so I can read your mind.
you're too stubborn to admit it!
In two posts you've now had a dig at me, in turn I've bitten back. Care to tell me just what your problem is with me?

Get over it junior, people will have different views to your own, I can accept it as can I provide validated information to possibly sway others, you obviously can not and just resort to saying someone is stubborn because your ill-informed post can not sway someone elses view.

You don't see me saying 'elm' is stubborn because he chooses to stick to his view. We all just have differing views.

I still think you're wrong though and judging by the length of your post and the fact that only a small portion is on the topic of taxis it seems as though you're too stubborn to admit it!
You obviously struggle to understand that whilst the reply may be long it contains information and points relevant to the topic, and offers points for consideration.

:roll:

Are you the forum keyboard hero know it all?