ABCTV @ Subiaco

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
auntys_eyes

ABCTV @ Subiaco

Post by auntys_eyes »

For those who were interested in our setup for the AFL footy at Subiaco, here are a few snaps i took last Sunday. This setup would be very similar for other jobs such as WAFL finals and rugby.

This is the media compound behind Gate 1 at Subiaco.

This is our newer truck OB6D (as opposed to our older truck in the thread Hedland Pics - ABCTV)

The OB van is a 'pump out' type van. When in operation, one side expands out to make the unit wider. The side slide backs in for transport.

Just some of the cabling needed to get the show to air.

This is the view from the camera i was operating.

Inside the Commentary Box.

Camera 3 (Left Pocket)

Camera 4 (Right Pocket)

Camera 5 (Behind Goals - City End)

Me hard at work :lol:
Last edited by auntys_eyes on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Brad

Post by Brad »

Interesting - I wonder what the bits of cable that are coming out of the monitors in the 'Commentary Box' shot are, since they're not standard monitor output cables.

Thanks for the pics! :)

-B.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Brad wrote:I wonder what the bits of cable that are coming out of the monitors in the 'Commentary Box' shot are
The monitors are fed a composite video signal via a coax cable with BNC connectors.

VBFB Member

Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Great pics Auntys...cheers!
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Fantastic pics Aunty, is that Glen Jakovich in the commentary box for Foxtel.

Your camera work is that used for ABC only or do you guys combine with all networks etc.

8)
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

Great shots AE. In the commbox, left of picture, guy seated with red jacket on back of chair - see the CRT monitor, well to the right is a small rack of equipment. On the bottom left corner of that equipment is a piece of paper in a clear plastic jacket with a table of frequencies on it, ranging from 742MHz to 766 MHz. What are those freqs for?

Ta

CE
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

Fabulous, AE. Cheers for those. Gives an interesting look at the 'other' side of the TV screen! :)
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

I am guessing please correct me if I am wrong that the ABC has the contract to film for Foxtel. I could not imagine them having 2 seperate tv crews there.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Rockjet wrote:Your camera work is that used for ABC only or do you guys combine with all networks etc.
The OB coverage is not for broadcast on the ABC. The only AFL game footage that can be shown on ABC is on the News(Sport).

The game coverage from Subiaco that you see on 7, 10 and Fox comes mostly from our van. As the ABC in Perth has the only large format digital widescreen OB trucks in WA, the other networks hire us as subcontractors to provide equipment, facilities and some staff.

VBFB Member

auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

celestial_insight wrote:On the bottom left corner of that equipment is a piece of paper in a clear plastic jacket with a table of frequencies on it, ranging from 742MHz to 766 MHz. What are those freqs for?
Wow celestial, what amazing eye sight you have :shock: to be able to read what is on that piece of paper :wink: I stood next to it and still couldn't read it :)

That is the MatchCom gear used for the umpire mics, so it would be fair to assume that those are the radio mic freqs 8)

VBFB Member

Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

auntys_eyes wrote:
Rockjet wrote:Your camera work is that used for ABC only or do you guys combine with all networks etc.
The OB coverage is not for broadcast on the ABC. The only AFL game footage that can be shown on ABC is on the News(Sport).

The game coverage from Subiaco that you see on 7, 10 and Fox comes mostly from our van. As the ABC in Perth has the only large format digital widescreen OB trucks in WA, the other networks hire us as subcontractors to provide equipment, facilities and some staff.
Does the ABC have a High Definition OB truck/cameras over this way at all? If not, I'd assume 10 would get the gear trucked over if they intended on broadcasting that game in HD and 5.1 sound (as they do for one each Saturday night).
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

auntys_eyes wrote:
celestial_insight wrote:On the bottom left corner of that equipment is a piece of paper in a clear plastic jacket with a table of frequencies on it, ranging from 742MHz to 766 MHz. What are those freqs for?
Wow celestial, what amazing eye sight you have :shock: to be able to read what is on that piece of paper :wink: I stood next to it and still couldn't read it :)

That is the MatchCom gear used for the umpire mics, so it would be fair to assume that those are the radio mic freqs 8)
As you have probably figured out, I saw the paper in there a few weeks ago and assumed that is what it was and wanted to confirm it. I spoke with a guy at the time putting new batteries into the mics of the umpire mic vests but he wasn't sure. Cheers.
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

I was waiting for these, terrific shots mate. Offtopic you are not what I pictured you to look like :wink:

So are you always focused on the action or do you get cues as to when to get the shot?
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Haha, couldn't miss you on that one, I kept scrolling past the text looking at the pic then going back to the text to see more details! :P Oh tomorrow is going to be so much fun taunting Steph!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

great shots aunty! How about some shots of inside the OB? I've never been inside the new ABC OB, but will get in there one day for a look. Obviously not while in operation, but most likely when it's parked in the east perth compound :)