Training for the goldfileds challange

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Training for the goldfileds challange

Post by Antt »

hey just thought id share some pics of my 4x4 training a did a few weekends back in our SES troopies there was driving blindfolded and some water crossings aside from that it was just general driving that was until we got stuck..... we went from 3 wheels to um..... 2 i bailed when it was still on 3 and had to recover it. Id dare say if it wasn't fro the clay we'd be on on our side. Oh just in case your curious i was driving the cruiser with a bag on my head ultimate trust program navigate a troopie with absolutely no idea where you going or what direction you facing just shut your eyes and hold on lol

i was driving the cruiser with the most mud on it... um my bow wave broke all over the bonnet and we got very dirty but its all fun. :lol:
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Cool pix
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Nice pics!

No radios in the SES vehicles over there?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Looks like a UHF antenna on the front of the roof rack Gavin.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

WPXZBP wrote:Looks like a UHF antenna on the front of the roof rack Gavin.
Good spot :)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Antt »

vk6hgr wrote:
No radios in the SES vehicles over there?
yeah these are the new standard issue roll out troopie thats being fitted with the new style radios, i will get a photo for you cause im not sure what make and model it is. It comes with a Tsunami warning system..but if kalamunda ever flooded um we probably wouldn't need to warn the flat landers cause they'd already know. Hence why kalamunda would never need a flood boat :P The radios have emergency channels A and B on them plus all the other FESA stations including CB- but as i say i will get ya a photo if you'd like

our older troop carrier has a Hf mount on the front however it doesn't get used a great deal.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

More than likely to be a Tait TM8250 or 8260. The latter will either have a green or yellow remote head.
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Wow awesome pics, that would have been a bit of an adrenalin rush (Sorry i cant spell that one)

Rockingham will take out the goldfields challenge again this year 8)
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

WPXZBP wrote:More than likely to be a Tait TM8250 or 8260. The latter will either have a green or yellow remote head.
The fire services vehicles are all getting TM8250's, so probably the same deal with SES..
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Offices, stations etc should be getting 8260s. I am under the impression that they will also fitted out in new appliances when they get the heads right. (The LCD screens go black in temps above 40°C. NOT what you want on a fire call! :lol:)
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

A lot of the SES radio aerials are like the short little ones you see on the police cars or of about that height, does the trick for the most part, but I still think at times it would be better to have a larger aerial, such as what our BFS and FRS trucks have. Will see you all there in 2 weeks time, for those that are going!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

SES operate in the UHF band - hence the smaller antenna (higher frequency = shorter wavelength)

FRS/BFS operate on the VHF band - lower frequency, thus larger wavelength, ergo longer antenna.

[/physics lesson]
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

WPXZBP wrote:SES operate in the UHF band - hence the smaller antenna (higher frequency = shorter wavelength)

FRS/BFS operate on the VHF band - lower frequency, thus larger wavelength, ergo longer antenna.

[/physics lesson]
and the difference between the small little antenna's and the taller one that has the coils that you buy in dick smith?
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Antt »

Just wondering if anyone here aside from me, is going to the goldfileds challenge??

Im going to represent Kalamunda we have a team of 6 going leaving perth on friday night getting to kal by 3 am....hopefully
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Antennae can be made to provide extra performance. A simple antenna would be something like a "quarter wave" antenna. (eg 300MHz radio signals have a wavelength of one metre. A quarter wave antenna would be ¼ x 1 = 25cm)

Other antennas could include a "half wave" (half a wavelength) or a "five eighth" (5/8 of a wavelength).

The coil at the bottom reduces the physical length of the antenna so it's not so long. Using a different technique to do the same thing is to add a "capacitive hat" - like the flat disc on top of the ABC tower in Hammersley.