Polair 61

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
Always RX

Polair 61

Post by Always RX »

A couple of months ago I posted a bunch of pics of Polair61 in another thread about a Tango vehicle. I think it is about time this awesome bird and the great bunch of brave blokes who operate her had a thread all of thier own and so i have reposted them here. I am hoping you guys will add your own pics to the collection.

Looking forward to seeing yours :D
Last edited by Always RX on Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Ooops ....forgot one. Note this one shows the new FLIR unit and revised Nitesun configuration.

Last edited by Always RX on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

Excellent pictures Always RX! Well done!

Do you know what is written down the side of the cab? It looks like someone's name, and I think I can see II (as in the 2nd) at the end?

Also, obviously Nitesun has better technology than the previous night vision they had before, but does anyone know what major improvements it now gives to Polair?
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Damn fine pics there Always. Love your work.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Let me just add my appreciation for some awesome photos. Well done!
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Sorry for the slow reply Chicky , Ive been up North.
The name down the side of Polair61 is Malcolm Stannaway who was a wapol officer shot dead whilst on duty many years ago in Geraldton.
In relation to the part of your question about the Nitesun I will clarify by saying that the Nitesun is the same 30 000 000 candle power search light that has always been aboard 61, it is now just relocated on the aircraft. The FLIR ( Forward Looking Infra Red) camera however is a completey new and updated model that has greatly enhanced the vision available to the officers on board. In addition to this the images that are taken by this camera now are beamed directly to ground stations so that supervisors in at VKI and the district IMU`s can get involved in decision making in real time. In the past the only information that was conveyed in real time were the radio messages that were transmitted by the observers aboard the helicopter.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Always RX wrote:Sorry for the slow reply Chicky , Ive been up North.
The name down the side of Polair61 is Malcolm Stannaway who was a wapol officer shot dead whilst on duty many years ago in Geraldton.
In relation to the part of your question about the Nitesun I will clarify by saying that the Nitesun is the same 30 000 000 candle power search light that has always been aboard 61, it is now just relocated on the aircraft. The FLIR ( Forward Looking Infra Red) camera however is a completey new and updated model that has greatly enhanced the vision available to the officers on board. In addition to this the images that are taken by this camera now are beamed directly to ground stations so that supervisors in at VKI and the district IMU`s can get involved in decision making in real time. In the past the only information that was conveyed in real time were the radio messages that were transmitted by the observers aboard the helicopter.
Sounds like the same setup they have on the FESA Air Intelligence Helicopter.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Always RX wrote:...The name down the side of Polair61 is Malcolm Stannaway who was a wapol officer shot dead whilst on duty many years ago in Geraldton...
The shooting of Malcolm Stanaway occured in 1979 whilst attending a report of an 'armed offender'.

Half of the July-August 2006 issue of 'News Beat' magazine was devoted to WAPol officers killed in the line of duty (see the link below). A full list (as of publication date) appears on page 13, and the story of Malcolm Stanaway is on page 17.

News Beat: July-August 2006

The case received world wide coverage as the offender was a 16 year old girl, and the youngest person to be given a death sentence. It is a sobering reminder of the fact that the men and women of WAPol put their lives on the line EVERY day.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Looking forward to seeing Polair61 tomorrow here in Geraldton, feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Does anyone have a pic of the Victorian Police Chopper, I saw it a few years ago whilst in Melbourne. It flew between the skyscrapers best thing I'd seen in years. :smt026
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

rockjet wrote:Looking forward to seeing Polair61 tomorrow here in Geraldton, feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Does anyone have a pic of the Victorian Police Chopper, I saw it a few years ago whilst in Melbourne. It flew between the skyscrapers best thing I'd seen in years. :smt026
Rockjet.
This link will take you to heaps of good shots of vic airwing

http://airwing.uplink.com.au/scripts/im ... ew&area=PH
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Thanks bomber, great site & pics
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Geraldton was supposed to have Polair 61 for the night (last Friday) for work around Gero, unfortunately something major came up in Perth that kept them down there. Just as well, would have scared the crap out of the locals. 8)
luke

Post by luke »

polair was in perth as well at nite around about 10pm and then later on when requesting polair surpport they said it was in gero?? strange
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

No guesses as to where this one was taken *drool drool* ;)

spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

hint: starts with red; ends with bull air race;