A loong hoselay in the Bush (Video)

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

A loong hoselay in the Bush (Video)

Post by kylep »

Who doesn't love a long lay in the bush. This is a continuous shot along a long hose lay into the bush last year. Thought the whole thing may interest a few people.

http://youtu.be/0FGZuhSeXgE
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Re: A loong hoselay in the Bush (Video)

Post by spartacus »

Cool, here's something a little more upbeat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20VJ2nMs1mc
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

kylep wrote:Who doesn't love a long lay in the bush. This is a continuous shot along a long hose lay into the bush last year. Thought the whole thing may interest a few people.

http://youtu.be/0FGZuhSeXgE
Kuringai Chase NP? That looks very much like where I learnt to fight them, except we probably would've ended up putting a hand-line in the whole way :(. They do like there long lays there. Can get suprisingly good pressure at the bottom of those hills without running the pump.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

I feel sorry for whoever has to roll all those up!
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Nafenn wrote:I feel sorry for whoever has to roll all those up!

Back when I was over there we made watermelons/football rolls, took them back to the staging area or the station and cleaned and rolled them there. A couple of times on the big fires with long wetlines I went to we would pack the gear downhill to the river and boat it out, and a couple of times we'd pack it all into gear slings and take it out by helo. Its still a big job but it beats carting uphill.

A lot of that country has gently rolling but very rough dissected plateaus at the top (like in the video) then smallish (maybe 2 to 10metre) step cliffs then steep steep sides going down to the bottom of the valley. In northern Sydney, the bottom of the valley is often a river, so its not really possible to use machinery in the same way you can elsewhere. The vast majority of it is hike/boat/fly in and attack it dry (or wet if you can get a hose in or with helos) or slow it with helitacks and concentrate on property protection until it is cool enough to light it up off an already made road or firetrail.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

You're in roughly the right area location wise.

As for making up it was a case of 'flaking' them over arms/shoulders and loading them onto trucks/PC. Mass clean, hang to dry, then roll up later. Plenty of training opportunities :)