interesting army 4x4s

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
cram

interesting army 4x4s

Post by cram »

we went to visit some friends in cockburn SA nsw border and this truck was parked in a rest bay so i was able to get some pictures

does any one know any thing about these army 4x4 units i would say they are designed for Afghanistan the huge V underneath
allycat
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden 536HP DMR,NXDN Uniden USDS100 DMR,NXDN Codan NGT

Re: interesting army 4x4s

Post by allycat »

cram

Post by cram »

allycat thank you
jezza

Post by jezza »

cram wrote:does any one know any thing about these army 4x4 units i would say they are designed for Afghanistan the huge V underneath
Correct, Bushmasters are designed to keep the occupants alive in the event of an IED explosion.

I'd say these ones are part of build-up training for the next rotation to Afghanistan, as Adelaide based 7 RAR is due to go over next.
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

jezza wrote: I'd say these ones are part of build-up training for the next rotation to Afghanistan, as Adelaide based 7 RAR is due to go over next.
They were farewelled last week so maybe they have already gone, unless the families said goodbye and they went into further training before departing.

http://tinyurl.com/9y2dysv

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
cram

Post by cram »

jezza thanks you they are set up for serious travel i would say as the exhaust is all taped up and closed in and they have not been in over seas before

I actually come from perth but 15 years ago I meet my wife on the internet and moved over to broken hill fantastic place and itis amazing what you see on the back of trucks so much mining equipment and so many other odd items

again thank you
cram

Post by cram »

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not. =D> =D> 8)
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

Those are indeed bushmaster protected mobilitty vehicles. The V shaped hull is nothing new. It deflects blasts from underneath away from the vehicle. Some vehicles like ASLAVs don't have one which makes them more vulnerable. IEDs have become prominent in campaigns like Afghanistan but commercial mines were widespread before that. That's where V shaped hulls came in. The DMZ in Korea is a classic example of a mined area in modern warfare.

They may not be from 7RAR. Could be any unit equiped with them doing an exercise, reserve units included. Lots of military training areas all over Australia.
cram

Post by cram »

SJANT we regulary get army personnel traveling through Broken Hill mcdonalds is based at our main shopping center here and I have seen many a army unit parked out side firsts thing on the morning

thanks for you comments
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

Yeah Darwin is basically half military. Darwin Airport is shared with RAAF Base Darwin, HMAS Coonawarra is a Navy Patrol Boat base and then there is Robertson Barracks which is home to 1st Brigade for the Army plus there is also Larrakeyah Barracks which is Army too. Go 300km south and then there is RAAF Base Tindil on the outskirts of Katherine. Not unusal to see Bushmasters driving around Darwin. Even get the odd LAV and many unimogs, mack trucks, land rovers, you name it.
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

Probably a new issue to a NSW or QLD Regiment as they are built in SA in Port Adelaide. When I was working in SA, they used to come passed on flat beds as well as ASLAV past our office. Seen some of the the test configurations they did for ASLAV with different gun mounts with kits form the US, UK and Israel. The Israeli gun turrets were apparently found in testing to be more resilient and guns faster firing when tested, but were not used for upgrades as the government thought it politically incorrect.
cram

Post by cram »

Bungarra our favorite place port adelaide when we go down to Adelaide one of our first places to visit is the beach just up from port Adelaide for our two dogs love a swim after a long drive from Broken Hill.