Redbull Air Race 2008

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

And a few Sunday ones - this time I managed to hang on to my own camera ... mostly ;)

SUNDAY - South Perth.

Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

wooo! Great shots Zeb, though I find it disconcerting that all aircraft have their props stopped...:lol:
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Tyranus wrote:wooo! Great shots Zeb, though I find it disconcerting that all aircraft have their props stopped...:lol:
I'm no camera guru, but isnt that part of the shutter speed? I have the same problem
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Well done to all - some very very impressive shots there.. hope there is more to come ;)
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Tyranus wrote:wooo! Great shots Zeb, though I find it disconcerting that all aircraft have their props stopped...:lol:
Yes - didn't you know that they implemented this fuel saving measure where they had to fly the course with no engines on the Sunday? :P
written_ficton wrote:I'm no camera guru, but isnt that part of the shutter speed? I have the same problem
I'm no guru either, but yes - a very fast shutter speed means it'll make the shot look like the prop isn't moving. You can slow the shutter speed down, but then you run the risk of getting a blurry photo. If you have steady hands (which I don't) or a tripod (which I didn't have with me) you could probably slow the shutter speed down to get a more realistic "whizzing propeller" look. As it was, I went for the safe option of having my photos mostly in focus and not blurry from camera shake ;)

It is very dark.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Someone told me once, for photographing Helicopters, a shutter speed of 1/125 is good. Tried this, and now use something around that mark al the time. Gives enough blur to show the blades moving, though you won't get the full arc.

Another rule of thumb, especially without IS, slow your shutter no more than the 'zoom level' you are using. So, if you have a 200mm zoom lens at full zoom, go no slower than 1/200 for shutter speed, at hand held, to prevent blur from camera shake.

Once you have a bit more experience with your hands, camera and different conditions, you'll figure out how much you can push the boundaries.

And yes, nice shots.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Zebedee wrote:
Yes - didn't you know that they implemented this fuel saving measure where they had to fly the course with no engines on the Sunday? :P
written_ficton wrote:I'm no camera guru, but isnt that part of the shutter speed? I have the same problem
I'm no guru either, but yes - a very fast shutter speed means it'll make the shot look like the prop isn't moving. You can slow the shutter speed down, but then you run the risk of getting a blurry photo. If you have steady hands (which I don't) or a tripod (which I didn't have with me) you could probably slow the shutter speed down to get a more realistic "whizzing propeller" look. As it was, I went for the safe option of having my photos mostly in focus and not blurry from camera shake ;)
I just point and shoot, I'm not into the techno camera guru
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Zebedee wrote:
I only hope the qantas aircraft got to keep it's engines running...wouldn't want yet another incident :shock:
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

kylep wrote:Someone told me once, for photographing Helicopters, a shutter speed of 1/125 is good. Tried this, and now use something around that mark al the time. Gives enough blur to show the blades moving, though you won't get the full arc.

Another rule of thumb, especially without IS, slow your shutter no more than the 'zoom level' you are using. So, if you have a 200mm zoom lens at full zoom, go no slower than 1/200 for shutter speed, at hand held, to prevent blur from camera shake.

Once you have a bit more experience with your hands, camera and different conditions, you'll figure out how much you can push the boundaries.

And yes, nice shots.
Thanks Kyle for the advice, I'll keep all of that in mind.

My problem is that I have shaky hands a lot, so over the years, I've discovered that to get anything half-way decent out of the day's photography, the faster the shutter speed the better (for me anyway).

The lens I was using for most of the day was a 75-300 mm one.

It is very dark.
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

Thankyou for the pics Fella's. Matt those F18 shots are insane :D

No Polair 61 this year?
Cows moo over the rainbow
Matt.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Matt. »

Thanks everyone for sharing all those great images! Ill be back March - April 2010 for the next Redbull Air race

Matt
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Ausrob wrote:Thankyou for the pics Fella's. Matt those F18 shots are insane :D

No Polair 61 this year?
it was covert
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

hahahah great shots guys.
last year i happened to have my scanner with me (UBC9XLT) and i was listening to the pilots freq and some guy who happened to have a scanner aswell came up to me and told me the freq. It was scary but then again.....
jasonjag
Banned

Shutter speed

Post by jasonjag »

written_ficton wrote:
I'm no camera guru, but isnt that part of the shutter speed? I have the same problem
Yes it is caused by the shutter speed. jj
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

WAPOL boys in the water having fun after driving too close to another boats anchor line :P

ADMIN EDIT: Picture links broken, references removed due to URL manipulation causing a redirect to material not suitable for family viewing