FRS - Osborne Park

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Lucas_arts_182 wrote:i wonder how many crews go to drive off with the charging lead still plugged in. lol
Alot of the appliances have a swith/handle next to the plug that is like a kill switch to the vehicle, so if you dont turn this on when you unplug the vehicle, it wont start. This is mainly on the light tankers though.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Our 2.4UT has that but not the LT. The latter has a short extension that plugs into the appliance. When you drive off it quickly releases from the main cord leaving a little one dangling. The sound of it banging on the side of the appliance should let the driver know he did something bad.

Similar ideas were at my old Brigade.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

From what I have heard the pumps (trucks) will not start with them in. Unlike the lts they dont have kill switchs that you must turn on but as I said they will not start with the lead still in.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

To address many questions...

The pumps generally don't have an isolate switch with the charger cord - they have a battery selector in the center of the cab. They WILL start with the cord plugged in. As Wes mentioned, the main portion is generally attached with a light chain, and a small section of cord which seperated easily.

The oil warming I don't believe applies to at least WA appliances - have heard this more in relation to ARFF appliances, and overseas services. It is simply a charger and yes, it does allow radios to be left on.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

yorky wrote:
Lucas_arts_182 wrote:i wonder how many crews go to drive off with the charging lead still plugged in. lol
Some overseas (thinking US) crews have them on guide rails so they actually *can* drive off with them still attached and they automatically quick release. I'll try and find the vid.
Some mine trucks do that not necessarily fire appliances but even general work trucks back into a charging station.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

[quote]They WILL start with the cord plugged in.

They DONT start with the cord in[/quote]
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

ace of spades wrote:
They WILL start with the cord plugged in.

They DONT start with the cord in
Ok then which one is it?
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Kyle's possibly referring to career appliances and some volunteers. All the new ones I've seen and heard about, including Beverley, Albany VFRS, Walpole and Mount Barker have cut-off switches in their UT/CP/HSR. Not seen one on an LT yet.

I do know that a number of VFRS Brigades have complained that their mobile phones, when left in the charger, go flat when left for a couple of days indicating that power is cut off to the vehicle. This is backed up by the fact that radio stations programmed into the "car radio" disappear too. Some Brigades have had their appliances looked at and rewired so it doesn't happen.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

The mundaring spare LT has a battery isolater which needs to be put in and locked into place for anything to happen. Darlington LT 1 and 2 don't have them, but our SES truck does have an isolator.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

All new BFS LTs have isolation switches which go over the plug when its in operation.the vehicle cannot be started while the cord is plugged in.
our 3.4R also has the similar setup and cant start while isolation switch is on.

our 7.2 on the otherhand is much older and can start and drive and has a setup so if you forget to take them out they will just come out.

hope this clears up the confusion
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

WPXZBP wrote:This is backed up by the fact that radio stations programmed into the "car radio" disappear too.
I hate that so much! :lol:

The entire fleet at Baldivis has isolation switches.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Just to show people what we are talking about with the difference. Sorry about the size, but just a quick grab from an image of mine...

To the left is the plug in the light tanker, under the tray, behind the driver. You can see the switch, shown in the 'on' position. In order to plug the charger in, the switch must be moved to the 'off' position.

To the right, the plug on a SeriesIV Scania MP, in the drivers entry step. There is no isolate switch at the plug area. There is a battery selector in the cab, but that is almost never in the 'off' position when a charger is used. This and at least another of these MPs, I have personally driven, can be started with the cord plugged in, as I have viewed other drivers do it.

Millsy, if the vehicles utilise a charger normally, and you are still losing your radio memories, then the electrics are set-up 'wrong' (subjective). Stereos are setup with a seperate power supply, that is purely for keeping the memory. This is usually setup so that even when the battery is isolated, that circuit is kept powered. If you don't use chargers all the time, then someone has been smart enough to disconnect this supply, so that if left for a while, the battery doesn't run flat.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

WPXZBP wrote:Kyle's possibly referring to career appliances and some volunteers. All the new ones I've seen and heard about, including Beverley, Albany VFRS, Walpole and Mount Barker have cut-off switches in their UT/CP/HSR. Not seen one on an LT yet.

I do know that a number of VFRS Brigades have complained that their mobile phones, when left in the charger, go flat when left for a couple of days indicating that power is cut off to the vehicle. This is backed up by the fact that radio stations programmed into the "car radio" disappear too. Some Brigades have had their appliances looked at and rewired so it doesn't happen.
Wes, as mentioned, this depends on which circuit they have connected the power to, or if they have bothered to connect the additional power supply to the radio/phone-kit.

With the switches it seems that most tankers, whatever size, have the isolate switch over the plug, but pumpers don't. Not sure if it is because of type of appliance, or dependant on whether they have separate battery selector.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

kylep wrote:Millsy, if the vehicles utilise a charger normally, and you are still losing your radio memories, then the electrics are set-up 'wrong' (subjective). Stereos are setup with a seperate power supply, that is purely for keeping the memory. This is usually setup so that even when the battery is isolated, that circuit is kept powered. If you don't use chargers all the time, then someone has been smart enough to disconnect this supply, so that if left for a while, the battery doesn't run flat.
kylep, the electrics are not set up wrong, the isolation on BFS appliances cuts *everything* and completely isolates the battery from everything bar the charger (if plugged in). This is deliberate and is mentioned in the relevant Training Resource Kits for these appliances (it also mentions this is not the case with FRS appliances, where the switch only isolates the ignition). Whilst many BFS appliances are used on a daily basis, many more are lucky to be touched each week.

Items such as phones, carkits etc are added afterwards and aren't part of a standard appliance 'build'.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Fastlane, that's why I made the subjective comment. It does depend on the situation. Just because these items aren't part of the standard build, doesn't exclude them from being wired correctly. As I mentioned, there are circuits in the vehicle, and low 'demand' power inputs to radios and so on, designed to simply hold the memory. If the vehicle does not utilise a vehicle charger, and is not used often, then it is wise to isolate these, however if the vehicle does utilise a charger, these circuits should be used for their purpose.

Obviously there are issues about who is allowed/responsible for making changes to vehicles which needs to be considered.