TV Links Vans

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

AE did you guys head off to that down Fielders St at around say 1.45 on Thursday?? I'm definately saw an ABC OB truck go past me after I'd parked my car but only noticed it as it went passed me!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
perthscanner

Post by perthscanner »

auntys_eyes wrote:
On the ground in front of the Journo is a black case with a small antenna. This is the IFB kit for return comms for the Journo. It contains a wet cell battery, mobile phone, complete mobile phone car kit and a special box containing power switch/earpiece sockets/speaker switch/volume pots. The Journo wears an earpiece plugged in to this unit (via the the blue cable seen in the photo).

The camera operator has a good old fashioned 'stick in your ear' hands free cable with a mobile for direct comms with the studio control room.
Unfortunately, with digital phones came the slight delay, which wasn't a problem with analogue. If you can use a two-way as IFB for the on-air guys, you remove the delay issue (as long as you are in a position to receive the IFB from the studio). Mobile phones are generally OK for cammo and tech use though..
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

Thankyou Steve and Aunty, very informative.

While your still viewing this thread, does the studio give the cues as to when the camera is back on them? Ie a live report on the scene and then footage from earlier then back to the reporter

Does the camera operator receive the same audio as the reporter?

Is the studio communication busy to/from during a live cross?

I would say it's a very difficult job doing live crosses for both the camera operator and the reporter.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Ausrob wrote:Thankyou Steve and Aunty, very informative.
You're very welcome :)
...does the studio give the cues as to when the camera is back on them? Ie a live report on the scene and then footage from earlier then back to the reporter
Yes, via the IFB feed in the journo's ear.
Does the camera operator receive the same audio as the reporter?
Sometimes. If the cammo dials in to, or is fed the IFB, then yes. At the ABC we can dial in to a system called TIFF, which patches us in to the studio control room talkback.
Is the studio communication busy to/from during a live cross?
During rehearsals it can be while every one is checking stuff (journo, newsreader, director, cammo, audio, tech producer and techs). Leading up to the cross, comms from location to studio is kept to an absolute minimum. During a cross it's director only (and the talent of course).
I would say it's a very difficult job doing live crosses for both the camera operator and the reporter.
For the cammo it's environmental problems like light, wind and background noise. For the journo it's distractions like onlookers and other crews.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Tyranus wrote:AE did you guys head off to that down Fielders St at around say 1.45 on Thursday?? I'm definately saw an ABC OB truck go past me after I'd parked my car but only noticed it as it went passed me!
No. All this stuff was on Tuesday. Not sure what was happening Thursday, but there was a live cross for the weather, from Scarborough Beach that night.

VBFB Member

auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

playworth wrote:i notice all the 3 major channels pointing same way.Your van not.i take it bcoz your base is in city?
Not sure what pic you're looking at, but they all look like they are pointing in the same general direction to me. Given the location i would expect that they were all sending to the receivers on Central Park.

BTW, what is your definition of a "major channel'? And what precludes the ABC from your list?

VBFB Member