Daglish 1st

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

JG-103 wrote:firstly you (you as in everyone not you as in you donga) gotta prove that tom was listening to the scanner and didnt just happen to come accross the fire or that he didnt find out about it by some other means (ie a friend or the tv etc) before it can be said that he was "fire chasing" (goin to the scene of a fire after hearing it on the scanner) and not being a responsible scanner user.

But then you have HM681 who tells everyone he goes to the scenes so... :roll:
Seeing smoke or being told by a mate and taking a 'detour' to have a nosy really isn't any different.. as I think has been said before, from listening to radio comms we ALL know what a nuisance people doing just this can be for emergency services - it takes the focus off what they are supposed to be doing.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Just my two cents, but can we ask Tom what kind of gear he uses. As a 'media guy', some of the shots look like they were taken on good quality equipment with a long (telephoto) lens. Whilst some of the shots have the hallmarks of looking like they were taken at close range, others don't. With the right gear, and experience, you don't have to be up close to take good photos, meaning the photographer doesn't have to be in the 'thick of things' to get good pics. Maybe, just maybe, some of this forum's regular pics posters are exercising their discretion.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

JG-103 here is a quote that has appeared in an earlier topic from Tom

"Couldn't help but notice the ash falling at the Academy open day last night, which got Wes all excited so we stopped off quickly on the way home.

Fire was at Lake Joondalup (although it had dried up). ".

With that in mind Tom has admitted that he went out of his way to take pictures at a close range. There have been other incidents eg Fire at Reid Hwy it appeared that Tom went out of his way to get pictures of the fire.

We all now the dangers of doing such things and read responses from several of our emergancy servive workers and volunteers saying how annoying it can be having members of the public stand around and watch.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Can we just not make this into such a big deal????

There are alot of people on here who just don't appreciate great pics - that are put on here for us - lets stop bagging them and questioning them how they got to be there in the first place....

Yes its wrong to act on what we hear on a scanner and wrong to go there - but it's not like us pointing fingers going to stop them doing so....

sorry just my 2 cents worth (playing catch up since coming back from Melbourne)
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

gk, its bit like giving your pet puppy a pat when its just shit on the carpet dont you think?

"yes its wrong".. but you still say "oh how wonderful"?..

to think you're all having a go at hm681 on the same thing. fair is fair.

last I'll have to say on it.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

In defense of Tom and myself and the pics from the Lake Joondalup fire ...

I watched Tom and how he operates - he never got in the way of the crews, kept well away from the fire and were essentially not obstructing anyone - emergency service personnel or members of the public. When police officers started shifting members of the public he and I moved on before they came anywhere near us.

As a volunteer fire fighter I had no complaints about how he operates.

[/defense]
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Donga wrote:JG-103 here is a quote that has appeared in an earlier topic from Tom

"Couldn't help but notice the ash falling at the Academy open day last night, which got Wes all excited so we stopped off quickly on the way home.

Fire was at Lake Joondalup (although it had dried up). ".

With that in mind Tom has admitted that he went out of his way to take pictures at a close range. There have been other incidents eg Fire at Reid Hwy it appeared that Tom went out of his way to get pictures of the fire.

We all now the dangers of doing such things and read responses from several of our emergancy servive workers and volunteers saying how annoying it can be having members of the public stand around and watch.
I see your point Donga... then again... dont you thing Wes (being a moderator of this site) should have stepped in an said to tom that they shouldnt go ?
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

It was my idea. The fact I am a moderator here is just that. Just a moderator - to moderate the discussion on the FESA threads. What you, Tom or anyone else does off the board, I cannot control.
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

To be truthful if it was not for everyone attacking Hm681 and his doing this probably would not of came about. I am not trying to attack Tom in anyway as I do like the pictures he take he is a great photographer. But everyone has been attacking Hm681 for saying he does a similar thing the onlt difference being is we get to see Toms work and to some that makes it ok. I know if it was mee and I stumbled across a fire or something envolving the police and had a camera on hand yes I would take a few photos in saying that I would never go out of my way to see theses things.