Show us your equipment *** PICS INSIDE ***

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

slipknot wrote:They both seem to do the do the same thing.
Im just not sure if these ones are suitable for ameteur radio. Does anyone use these models?
Yep, I have an X-50 antenna on the roof of my house for amateur 2m/70cm and I'm very happy with it :)

Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

Wow, What Repeaters can you hit with it?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

All of the metro ones without any problems at all. Everything from Roleystone, to Freo to Vic Park and to Wanneroo.

I've heard Cataby once in the summertime when there was some ducting going on, but haven't put out a call on it yet.

Also haven't tested to see if I can get the one in the Avon Valley yet - the group out that way have just put a new antenna on it in the last week or two...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
numloxx
Amateur callsign: VK6PCB

Post by numloxx »

Don't have any base stations, but my 2 mobiles are:
Yaesu VR-120D and Uniden 245XLT Trunktracker.
The Yaesu is used mainly for anything where smaller is better, and the Uniden but anything trunk tracking or general use.
VK6LD
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by VK6LD »

vk6hgr wrote:
vk6jrc wrote:
I have purchased Diamond brand antennas from Tower Communications http://www.tower.visionimage.com.au previously.
=D>
Last edited by VK6LD on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK6LD
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by VK6LD »

slipknot wrote:Thanks Gavin! lol.
Oh gee anyway,
I found two Diamond antenna Models that ive got my eye on for when i get my ameture licence. It says that they are for the 70cm and 2m bands but im not sure if thats true, they dont state that they are for amateur radio use.

These are the models:
X50A
and the X-50M/N 2m/70cm 4.5/7.2dB gain, 1.7m long Antenna (coudlnt find a link for that one)

They both seem to do the do the same thing.
Im just not sure if these ones are suitable for ameteur radio. Does anyone use these models?
The X50 is a good antenna. The difference between the two antennas is that the X-50M/N has an N type connector on it, whilst the X-50A has a SO-239 UHF type connector. The N type connector will have slightly lower losses and is more waterproof than the SO239 UHF connector.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

You could also try Andrews Communications in Sydney. They have their own branded 'Andrews Antenna's' which are replica's of the Diamond Range at a reduced price - they infact come from the same factory. Freight is around $35.00 to Perth Metro.

See: www.andrewscom.com.au

Cheers, CC 8)
Pty

Post by Pty »

Urshtnme wrote:Here ya go

That's a Doppler RDF isn't it? Is it mounted to the bottom of an aircraft?

Here's one on the Gold Coast that gets used to track intereference on amateur bands and also CB Repeater pests:

Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

fantastic...and it works how??
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

I think that type of array works on time difference between signals arriving at each antenna. I could be wrong.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

Google Adcock Antenna Radio Direction Finder. Heaps of info. Sea Rescue Groups use them a lot for 27 Mhz and VHF, as well as EPIRB location. Often on o/s police vehicles you see them in the vehicles for locating LoJack systems.
Pty

Post by Pty »

Tyranus wrote:fantastic...and it works how??
Doppler RDF units determine the bearing to a signal's source by electronically rotating four antennas, arranged in a circular pattern, at a high rate of speed. The signals received at each antenna are combined and passed on to your FM receiver which is tuned to the frequency of interest. The FM receiver detects the incoming signal and produces an audio tone which is then passed back to the Doppler unit. Inside the Doppler unit are two microprocessors which control the antenna switching and process the audio tone, from the receiver, using DSP techniques. The result of this processing determines the relative direction to the signal source. The direction is displayed continuously in real-time on a circular array of LEDs, each representing a degree of angle depending on the number used. In the case of intermittent signals the microprocessors save and display the last directional information (shown as a flashing bearing indicator) until the signal is again active. Active signals are displayed as a steady directional indication. The DSP-RDF Doppler kit being offered by W6DFW incorporates another feature not in the original design. This feature allows direction finding of a jamming signal even when the jammer is broadcasting a tone intended to interfere with Doppler units
It's a kit you can buy and build from the states. It's put together by amateurs.

cheers
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

celestial_insight wrote:Google Adcock Antenna Radio Direction Finder. Heaps of info. Sea Rescue Groups use them a lot for 27 Mhz and VHF, as well as EPIRB location. Often on o/s police vehicles you see them in the vehicles for locating LoJack systems.
can you put that in english?

whats a lojack system? and could it help find those ppl that interefered with the police radios back when they were analogue?
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424
yorky

Post by yorky »

woobla1 wrote:
celestial_insight wrote:Google Adcock Antenna Radio Direction Finder. Heaps of info. Sea Rescue Groups use them a lot for 27 Mhz and VHF, as well as EPIRB location. Often on o/s police vehicles you see them in the vehicles for locating LoJack systems.
can you put that in english?

whats a lojack system? and could it help find those ppl that interefered with the police radios back when they were analogue?
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Adcoc ... =firefox-a
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=LoJac ... =firefox-a
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Pty wrote:
Urshtnme wrote:Here ya go

That's a Doppler RDF isn't it? Is it mounted to the bottom of an aircraft?
Looks like the one thats mounted to the AMSA / Customs Dornier 328-100 aircraft that are operated by Aerorescue. Most likely VH-PPF or VH-PPG. You can see the array towards the front of the aircraft in this photo http://www.airliners.net/photo/Australi ... 1093413/M/