150+ posts
150+ posts

Rockingham Storm 9/6/08

Post by Smithy »

a few pics of what the storm caused

Froggles

Post by Froggles »

Thanks for the pics Smithy :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

WARSUG Public Transport Moderator
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

Froggles wrote:Thanks for the pics Smithy :)
no worries mate.
obviously its only a small portion of what went on today but yeh shows some of the stuff we had to deal with
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

Interested to see the photos of the house with the whole front wall collapsed which casued the roof to collapse onto it. Damage to the abouve houses doesn't seam as bad as others seen on the news.
Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Post by Jonesy »

Top photos Smithy - i did not manage to snap any but my offsider did - i will try to get some up. I was in the area where most of the photos on the news were taken, spent a bit of time with the crane lifting someone elses roof off another house.
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

Jonesy wrote:Top photos Smithy - i did not manage to snap any but my offsider did - i will try to get some up. I was in the area where most of the photos on the news were taken, spent a bit of time with the crane lifting someone elses roof off another house.
yeh heard you guys turning out but didnt see you at all there.
we were basically tasked to do road blocks and reccy work, not alot of heavy lifting for us. leave that to the SES. we worked more waikiki area.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Smithy wrote:
Jonesy wrote:Top photos Smithy - i did not manage to snap any but my offsider did - i will try to get some up. I was in the area where most of the photos on the news were taken, spent a bit of time with the crane lifting someone elses roof off another house.
we were basically tasked to do road blocks and reccy work, not alot of heavy lifting for us. leave that to the SES. we worked more waikiki area.
Lucky for you guys getting called. FRS once again didnt get a shout. would think the more hands to clean the quicker and better.
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

bomber wrote:
Smithy wrote:
Lucky for you guys getting called. FRS once again didnt get a shout. would think the more hands to clean the quicker and better.
Would have thought so too "many hands make light work"

We spent most of the time loading sand bags, no traffic control for us this time. SES were greatful for our help, they do a fantastic job - credit to all you SES vollies and staff out there.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

bomber wrote:
Smithy wrote:
The career guys were out and about.. saw pictures of them on various news sites.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

This may seem like a silly question

Why at an ses incident is the bfs used for roadblocks but at a bfs incident they tie up cops with roadblocks?

I know the cops have more power and are more intimidating,but i feel that there wasted resources to have the s.e.s not doing it.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Technically neither the SES or BFS can enforce a roadblock, if BFS or SES have setup a road block then if someone decides to go through it then there isn't a lot you can do. Yes you can call up base and they might action it, but in storms that's very unlikely. Police however can put a road block in and if you drive through it you're disobeying an officer of the law etc. Fires are more dangerous so this would be why police are used, because SES cannot stop someone physically. Even if we could we would not because we do not get paid to do it. Unfortunately there's too many people that would lash out.
At the Carine open space fires Stirling SES and Wanneroo SES did put up road blocks, and turn people away however a few people found other ways through and so we had to try and kindly ask them to go back away from the road blocks etc. However if someone had said no and argued with me I would have walked away and requested police assistance.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

police were there at the start but as soon as we got there they went off to do more useful things. we weren't blocking the road as such just protecting an area where power lines were lowered and causing trouble. i guess its more get as many people there as you can in times like those :)
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Jonesy wrote:"many hands make light work"
So does electricity. :P
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

WPXZBP wrote:
Jonesy wrote:"many hands make light work"
So does electricity. :P

There is always one.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

[quote="Jonesy"]Top photos Smithy - i did not manage to snap any but my offsider did - i will try to get some up.quote]

Who'd you crew with Jonessy?