spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Windows XP

Post by spartacus »

Simply, do computer shops still sell windows XP :?:

I've been given a piece of fairly expensive software, and it will only work (properly) on XP. I've tried to get it to work with Vista, and after consulting with the manufacturer, the license which I have does not allow me to have the Vista or 7 copy. Grrrr.... but anyway.... life continues.
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
gkoutlis

Re: Windows XP

Post by gkoutlis »

spartacus wrote:Simply, do computer shops still sell windows XP :?:

I've been given a piece of fairly expensive software, and it will only work (properly) on XP. I've tried to get it to work with Vista, and after consulting with the manufacturer, the license which I have does not allow me to have the Vista or 7 copy. Grrrr.... but anyway.... life continues.

I've had a bit of a look around, and it doesn't look like the commercial places do any more...

Nothing at PLE, Dick Smith or Arrow Computers... So I'd say no.. And no, I won't suggest pirated copy either ;)

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Post by Mug »

Cheap computers are still available with it.

Shame, twas' the best of the recent versions...
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
yorky

Post by yorky »

Just buy Windows 7 Pro. I'm not sure if the retail version has downgrade rights but I know the OEM license is downgradable.

Basically you are able to buy 7 Pro, install XP Pro using your own CD and provide your own key (from another PC is fine), and when you activate if it doesn't activate just call the 1800 number and explain you are downgrading.

I believe the downgrade rights to XP Pro are available for 18 months from Windows 7 launch technically. Downgrade to Vista will be always available. Same as if you bought/buy Vista Business, it can be downgraded always to XP Pro.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Magnus »

Not strictly within the terms of the licence, but if Home edition will suffice

http://bargainboard.navada.com.au/admin ... ctID=76499
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Ahh. Near-unlimited OEM licenses on old machines from work. :-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
yorky

Post by yorky »

Magnus wrote:Not strictly within the terms of the licence, but if Home edition will suffice

http://bargainboard.navada.com.au/admin ... ctID=76499
Yeah technically you can't on sell OEM stickers 2nd hand, they are tied to the machine its purchased with. Of course in the end no one really cares much about that. Although that price is a bit steep.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Try calling 1300 48 48 97 if I want anything obscure I go to them they might either have some copies still or be able to get one for you legally.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

yorky wrote:Just buy Windows 7 Pro. I'm not sure if the retail version has downgrade rights but I know the OEM license is downgradable.

Basically you are able to buy 7 Pro, install XP Pro using your own CD and provide your own key (from another PC is fine), and when you activate if it doesn't activate just call the 1800 number and explain you are downgrading.

I believe the downgrade rights to XP Pro are available for 18 months from Windows 7 launch technically. Downgrade to Vista will be always available. Same as if you bought/buy Vista Business, it can be downgraded always to XP Pro.
You can't upgrade XP direct to 7 so I would suspect that you can only downgrade to Vista, thus you would need a Vista license to downgrade to XP legally.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

What about Windows 7 with XP compatibility mode? As far as I know Win7 comes with a virtual-machine type thing built in that provides a complete desktop setup that runs XP natively.

If all else fails, let me know. I have about 10 licenses and would be willing to part with one...

Bonez
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

From my understand that requires you to install virtual PC or the latest one for 7, then you enable Windows XP mode. I think there's some other catches like you have to install other components. I haven't looked into because I don't need it...but then I haven't tried playing Diablo 2 since installing 7.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

I'm really rusty on Windows... *posts from Ubuntu* :)

Sorry.. but my IT career is going out the door, I got a new job today - as an Apprentice Chef!
colin
150+ posts
150+ posts
Amateur callsign: VK6FITN
Scanners and Receivers: RTL2832U with RTL_Airband
Tait 8200

Post by colin »

Tyranus wrote:...You can't upgrade XP direct to 7 so I would suspect that you can only downgrade to Vista, thus you would need a Vista license to downgrade to XP legally.
Someone at Micro$oft must have realised that XP is better than Vista, 'cause you CAN downgrade to XP, not Vista.
yorky

Post by yorky »

colin wrote:
Tyranus wrote:...You can't upgrade XP direct to 7 so I would suspect that you can only downgrade to Vista, thus you would need a Vista license to downgrade to XP legally.
Someone at Micro$oft must have realised that XP is better than Vista, 'cause you CAN downgrade to XP, not Vista.
Correct, there was a big brew har har about business that are 'stuck' on XP due to company policy and funding (why change what isn't broken?), and for years for new systems brought into the business's you could just buy Vista Business and downgrade license to XP (which by the way has always been the case, you could purchase XP Pro and downgrade to 2000, etc legally). But then Vista stopped and out came 7, and the usual thing was downgrade to Vista only from 7. Which meant companies couldn't buy 7 and install XP and god forbid no one in their right mind in a business was going to roll out Vista.

However Microsoft implemented the ruling to allow downgrade of 7 to XP (initially for like 6 months but now I believe its 18 months) to allow companies to slowly go up to 7. Do a Google and you'll find many articles on the matter.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Ok a bit of research conducted on the whole downgrade rights thingo.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
This should download a document and it says.
Can I downgrade my OEM version of Windows 7 Professional to Windows XP Professional?
For a limited time of 18 months after the general availability of Windows 7 or the release of a Windows 7 Service Pack, whichever is earlier, the OEM license of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate will include downgrade rights to Windows XP Professional. After that period the OEM license will enable downgrade rights to Windows Vista Business
Further reading here: http://oem.microsoft.com/script/content ... eID=552856
Will the Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Ultimate, or Windows XP Professional software require product activation? If so, what product key should be used to activate the software?
A. Once Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Ultimate, or Windows XP Professional is installed, the PC will prompt for a Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Ultimate, or Windows XP Professional product key in order to activate the software. The product key associated with the original Windows software should be used for activation.
Further info here too, http://oem.microsoft.com/script/content ... 6#windows7

Good luck and may the force be with you.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB