For sale, wanted to buy and swap

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

In - Car Navagation

Post by dazla »

Hey folks,

I am looking at getting a in-car navagation system for the car/work but I am caught between the Tom Tom and the Navman.

I used a Tom Tom on the weekend and loved it, but at $800 I would want to be sure.

Does anyone have any experiance using these things, good or bad?
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

I have a tom tom 710. Have taken it on holidays to Brisbane and Melbourne. Worked a treat. Only a couple of minor hiccups e.g. where it told me to take the next exit off the freeway, only to tell me to go straight over the lights at the top and back down again :roll:

Just make sure you have good access to power in the car........battery only last <2hrs.

Walks.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

We have 2 Navman's (Navmen? :lol: ) and find them quite easy to use. I actually prefer TomTom though, and most people who have tried both tend to agree.

You can always have both - I just copied TomTom software to a different SD card, so if I want to run that I basically just insert the card.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

I wonder if luke has a navman strapped to his pushy?
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

hahaha probarly
luke

Post by luke »

IM sorry
Last edited by luke on Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

I used a tomtom in a 'first responder' sja subaru a few months back along with a navman, must say the tomtom was alot easier to understand and visually better
herbie1204

Post by herbie1204 »

I have a tom tom. I used it to drive to Bunbury. It was O.K. until I nearly drove off a cliff. :shock: .........just kidding. Tom tom, highly recommended. Haven't used a road map book since purchase.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

I have a Navman and it's not bad.

It's only tried to send me into a field once :) (there was a road on the map that didn't really exist) and one or two intersections around Perth aren't quite the same on the map.

I'd give it about an 8.5 out of 10 :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I have a Dell Axim X51v pocket pc, Destinator 3 software and a Leadtek CF GPS card. Only a few faults with the software - mainly not telling me that a road is actually a dirt track. The software claims to have 99% of the roads in Australia and I haven't been able to fault it yet.
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

I'm looking at getting the Road Angel 3000, any body know if these are good. Seen them on special at Harvey Normans for $300.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Bungarra wrote:I'm looking at getting the Road Angel 3000, any body know if these are good. Seen them on special at Harvey Normans for $300.
Sorry, have never seen one of those before. What comes up if you do a Google search looking for reviews? Are they mostly positive?
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

Thanks Doug, checked on google, it's about 50/50 on the Road Angel. I'll think about it a bit longer, stick with my road and track atlas for a while longer when I'm doing country work.