Hey, Chenky Here

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
chenky

Hey, Chenky Here

Post by chenky »

Hi,

I've been a little interested in radios for a while now, so I went and bought myself a cheap pair of Dick Smith CB radios that have CTCSS(???). The range is 3km so I really don't know whether that's good or not :lol:

Anyway, I've been looking around the 'net to find info on CB use and I've found that I don't need a licence to operate, don't transmit on channel 5 or 35 except in emergency and dont transmit on channel 11 unless trying to contact someone and agree on another channel to talk.

Since I'm new at all this, I was hoping someone might be able to confirm all that (maybe laws have changed recently?) and pick up something I may have missed?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joshua "Chenky" Minchenko
South Australia
-> I'm here coz SA doesn't have any good sites on CB and you guys look like you know what you're talking about... :wink:
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Hey, Chenky Here

Post by vk6hgr »

chenky wrote: Anyway, I've been looking around the 'net to find info on CB use and I've found that I don't need a licence to operate, don't transmit on channel 5 or 35 except in emergency and dont transmit on channel 11 unless trying to contact someone and agree on another channel to talk.

Since I'm new at all this, I was hoping someone might be able to confirm all that (maybe laws have changed recently?) and pick up something I may have missed?
Hi Chenky.

Welcome aboard! :-)

You are correct about channel 5 and 35. They are emergency channels only. Channel 11 is a calling channel in principal but it's rarely used for that.

Channels 1,2,3,4,6,7,8 are repeater outputs, which correspond to channels 31,32,33,34,36,37,38 the repeater inputs. Repeaters will listen on its input (say channel 31) and transmit anything there on its output (say channel 1).

Repeaters greatly extend the range of your transceiver but unfortunately in most capital cities they're also not the most hospitible places to hang out :-(

For simplex use (i.e. between your two radios) basically pick a channel between 9 and 30, or 39 or 40 and make sure it's not currently being used and away you go.

Cheers,
Gavin.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
chenky

Post by chenky »

Thanks for the help, Gavin.

I know that there is a licence required for Amateur Radio, but is any fee or licence required to use repeaters on CB?

Also, I've heard the phrase "was someone breaking there?" a few times. Whats that mean? Sorry to play 20 qns but I'm just learning the basics of my new setup :D

Cheers,
Chenky
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

chenky wrote: I know that there is a licence required for Amateur Radio, but is any fee or licence required to use repeaters on CB?
License required for amateur radio, CB repeaters need licenses, but as an ordinary CB user, there's no license required.
Also, I've heard the phrase "was someone breaking there?" a few times. Whats that mean? Sorry to play 20 qns but I'm just learning the basics of my new setup :D
On CB, if you want to talk on a channel that's already in use, you say "breaker" to tell them you want them to let you into the conversation. They'll then invite you in and away a conversation goes :-)

Cheers,
Gavin.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
chenky

Post by chenky »

Thanks heaps for the help!

Cheers,
Chenky
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

if you have any questions about UHF in the future id be happy to answer them as best i can , better you learn it here then on the radio .
people get annoyed having to repeat them selves to every new person who "just got a radio in there car"