recommend me a chinese UHF cheapy of ebay

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
billjov

recommend me a chinese UHF cheapy of ebay

Post by billjov »

Hi all, first time poster.

I have the following UHF's in little arsenal; UH076sx and in car UHF CB. Im now looking for a cheap chinese UHF 5w to buy of ebay for my dad to use when we go fishing. I prefer to get him a cheapy 5w. I am by no means UHF savvy or how frequecies work by I do know that UHF for amatuers have set frequencies. I need some advice on which chinese UHF's will cover the frequencies for channels 1-40 inlcuding repeater. I know that I will have to program them which is fine with me as long as the instuctions are easy to read.

If someone can point me to a few different ones to pick from on ebay I'd be most grateful. Preferrable brands that people are happy with and easy to program using the manual provided in the box.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: recommend me a chinese UHF cheapy of ebay

Post by Zebedee »

Hi Billjov,

One of the problems with buying radios such as what you describe is that they may not be suited for Australian conditions and not covered under the licence that regulates the use of CB radios.

For reference, the Australian Communications and Media Authority have a web page with information that you should familiarise yourself with, before purchasing a radio from overseas:

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1265

The Radiocommunications Act and associated regulations and licence conditions documents have some fairly stiff penalties for people who are caught doing the wrong thing. Before purchasing a radio from overseas, it'd be a very good idea to make sure that whatever you're buying is legal to own and operate.

PS: Welcome to the forums :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
billjov

Post by billjov »

I'll have a read. Thanks
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

I have an OMDI 5w UHF CB handheld that came from Hong Kong, I paid about $150 inc postage. It works a treat. A little bit of fiddling to get the repeaters/duplex mode working but the seller I purchased it off (I think his ebay name was gotools-2) was very good in helping me getting it to work.

It is perfect and even came with 2 batteries.

Cheers
Bonez
billjov

Post by billjov »

thanks Bonez,
didnt the unit come with a manuel that you needed to contact the seller?
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Hi,

The unit came with a chinglese manual which was not really that easy to understand, but it made enough sense to get me off the ground.
The radio is fantastic, I hooked it up to a power meter and it puts out 4.8 watts, vs my GME TX6000 which only puts out 3.9 watts.

If you decide to buy one, I recommend looking for a seller on ebay called gotools-2 I think his name is. Once you get the radio, you will not be able to access repeaters immediately, but if you visit his website (be sure to ask him for the address when making the purchase) the full instructions are available.

Mine came with 2 batteries, a wrist strap, I even asked him nicely to chuck in an SMA > BNC adapter so I could hook it up to my car roof antenna and he threw that in for free. It also comes with a desktop charger as well as a handheld antenna of course, however I recommend that you look at setting up a better antenna if you are planning on using it while in the car. If you want a pure handheld only then you should be right just as it is.

I have had fantastic signal reports, audio and signal are great and I'm in a weak area, quite a distance from the repeater in Bunbury, but I still access it perfectly, if not better than using a conventional mobile rig.

Cheers
Bonez
billjov

Post by billjov »

Thank buddy.

My dad will only be using as a handheld but I would be handy for him to have the adapter so I can hook it up to my one in the for a bit of fun.