Just a few questions

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
Streetvision

Just a few questions

Post by Streetvision »

Well I recently brought a handheld scanner, and tuned into the cb 1 repeater, and there were some idle chatter and it seemed pretty cool, im guessing it’s a little bit quiet because my reception on the handheld scanner is not great.

I was thinking of somehow mounting a big (good) Cb antenna on my roof, getting one of the cb radios you usually find in a car and trying to make a base station.

Im not to sure why but since I got my scanner I have wanted to talk, its just interesting and seem so you don’t need a license.

So my question is would something like that work?

and is there still many people talking on the cb radio?

and by the way, sorry if this doesn’t make any cense its 3:46 am :\

Edit: i live in kingsley about 5 minute walk from the Greenwood traino
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Yep you could talk that way if you are so inclined. It would be good for you to be aware some neighbours don't take too kindly to large antennae being erected next to their place.

You don't need a cb licence and yes, people still use it. Lots are dropkicks though, from what I have heard, but there are many there who just like to chat.

Why not contact the Wireless Institute of Australia for a foundation amateur licence pack?
Streetvision

Post by Streetvision »

Yeah that foundation amateur licence thing looks pretty good, but im trying to slowly introduce myself, and i sort of just want to play around a bit.

And yeah theres usualy people abusing eachother but today some kids were talking about computers, i so wish i could of joined in, i coulda helped him solve his power supply problem too :(
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

My advice to you is to go ahead with the CB purchase, get yourself familiar with talking on the airwaves, meet a few people, meet a few assholes and have a bit of fun (but don't join the assholes and become one).

Once you are happy with your antenna and CB setup, if you start taking further interest in radios, look at the foundation license.

I was in the first group of people in WA (VK6 as we call it) to get a foundation license, and so far it's been great. I've met quite a few people in person who are fellow amateur operators and am quickly getting right into it. It's great fun!

Cheers
Blake VK6FBNZ
Pty

Post by Pty »

I started quite a few year ago when i borrowed my dad's cb and started chatting on the one and only repeater i could receive. I made great mates and then when the repeater went down a few years later i got out of it. Now, i've got a good homebase setup that i'm pleased with and i've got access to repeaters 2,3,4,5,6,7. I've got it next to the pc so i mostly chat on the cb while surfing the net. I've since met up with a few mates i knew 5 years ago on ch1 repeater. ;) I'm currently listening to some humourous stuff on cb7 and brisbane airport control with my scanner. ;)
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Where do you live Pty?
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I would assume he lives in Brisbane?
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Pty

Post by Pty »

South brisbane ;)

non of this WA stuff ;) :twisted:

SUNSHINE STATE ROCKS AND/OR ROLLS!!! :D
Streetvision

Post by Streetvision »

Pty wrote:I started quite a few year ago when i borrowed my dad's cb and started chatting on the one and only repeater i could receive. I made great mates and then when the repeater went down a few years later i got out of it. Now, i've got a good homebase setup that i'm pleased with and i've got access to repeaters 2,3,4,5,6,7. I've got it next to the pc so i mostly chat on the cb while surfing the net. I've since met up with a few mates i knew 5 years ago on ch1 repeater. ;) I'm currently listening to some humourous stuff on cb7 and brisbane airport control with my scanner. ;)
Awsome im looking forward to getting my CB stuff. im broke at the moment :cry:
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

hi
with the antenna issue , put it up then see if you have any complaints , use a white coloured antenna , thier popular because they dont stand out a great deal but if you do get complaints just act dumb and say you didnt relise and just take the antenna down.
if you want ask the council but this might attract attention to yourself.

ive had mine up for a few months and no one cares , you cant see it very well from the street!
PRC-495

Re: Just a few questions

Post by PRC-495 »

Streetvision wrote:Well I recently brought a handheld scanner, and tuned into the cb 1 repeater, and there were some idle chatter and it seemed pretty cool, im guessing it�s a little bit quiet because my reception on the handheld scanner is not great.

I was thinking of somehow mounting a big (good) Cb antenna on my roof, getting one of the cb radios you usually find in a car and trying to make a base station.

Im not to sure why but since I got my scanner I have wanted to talk, its just interesting and seem so you don�t need a license.

So my question is would something like that work?

and is there still many people talking on the cb radio?

and by the way, sorry if this doesn�t make any cense its 3:46 am :\

Edit: i live in kingsley about 5 minute walk from the Greenwood traino
Hey mate, you seem like a decent bloke, deffinantly set up a base. I started off my UHF career using a 6DB gutter mount antenna running a UH-088 Uniden. I got out to the local wanneroo repeater just fine. ;)

There are heaps of people who talk on the CB but the best peice of advice i can give you is: Don't pay the idiots who use it any attention, only talk to the decent operators. And if people try to stir you up, don't give them the satisfaction of attention that they want.

Look forward to hearing you on the air ways mate! Listen out for PRC-495. :)
[PRC] Perth Radio Club. 495