New to this whole CB radio..

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
yorky

Re: New to this whole CB radio..

Post by yorky »

Its one of the most common scanners available, other ones are likely to just be more expensive.

Yes that's correct about the channels.

I never said I didn't know anything about radio's :P
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

thnx mate! haha u know loads of about radios...it soo confusing aye? well then im going save up for the Uniden 72XLT..thnx alot for the help your help! btw what radios do you use? are they handheld or desktop?

thnx again!
yorky

Post by yorky »

I was once a beginner too so every bit helps :)

I personally have the 92XLT but now that Police are digital I don't use 64 of those channels #-o
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

haha well hopefully i can become a pro one day too! thats the other handheld that dse have...you can still listen to other channels right? but yeah the police radio is alot more fun...when do you think the major government agencies will go digital? and btw wats 806-956 800 MHz Band, correct me if i am wrong but isnt that what mobile phones run on?

thnx again
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yes you can still listen to everything else.

There is no telling when they will all go digital, we don't know about that end of the land :)

There isn't much that I've found in the 800Mhz band, normal digital mobiles I think run much higher but I'm not certain. Either way you definitely can't get mobile phone audio!
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

800mHz has the odd Land Mobile and trunked systems.
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

Used to own a 72XLT, wasn't bad. Fell in love with the Close Call feature, however it was a shame that it couldn't search for CTCSS / DCS tones like the ICOM gear. If it could then i'd buy one again, that's the only thing that let me down.
spartacus wrote:800mHz has the odd Land Mobile and trunked systems.
I would imagine that there would be, over here there's lots.
There is trunking, TV, and the link from radio studio to repeater transmitter... :)
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

thnx guys..been such a great help! so either the 72 or 92 XLT scanners are good? how many digital transmission is out there? are there still more analogue than digital?

cheers
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by spartacus »

wishbone wrote:thnx guys..been such a great help! so either the 72 or 92 XLT scanners are good? how many digital transmission is out there? are there still more analogue than digital?

cheers
The thing is, the digital transmissions are encrypted, so you can't pick them up anyway.
As for which scanner, the 72 & 92 are almost identical, with the 92 having 200 channels and covers the 800mHz Band.

Realistically, you would never use all of these channels but it is good to have 20 channels in each "bank" as you can program each department into a bank.

For example i have FESA in the first 4 banks (Replaced WAPOL :(), 5=Perth ATC, 6&7=CB, 8=Jandakot ATC + Perth Trunking System, 9&10 are for special events :)

You could probably fit all these frequencies (minus the CB Channels) into the 72, but selecting what you want when would be somewhat cryptic

My 2c
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

spartacus wrote:The thing is, the digital transmissions are encrypted, so you can't pick them up anyway.
Not all digital transmissions are encrypted. Certainly the WAPol transmissions are but there will be some digital stuff which isn't.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by spartacus »

Ok, most of the interesting digital stuff is encrypted.
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

cheers...so looks like analogue is the way to go for now...is it worth paying the extra 100 for the 92? thnx guys for being such a great help...and sorry for asking soo many qus... :oops: