New to this whole CB radio..

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
wishbone

New to this whole CB radio..

Post by wishbone »

hey guys...firstly would like to say hi! i just manage to buy my first CB radio off ebay...been waiting for a very long time and i have finally got one :D ..its a uniden 1W radio (UH049SX)..i know its not that powerful but its my first radio...so anyways my question is about this CB repeater thing...should i have the channels 1-8 with all the repeaters activated? and what is the best way to pick up majority of the signals where ever i am?

Cheers

Wishbone!
yorky

Re: New to this whole CB radio..

Post by yorky »

Welcome :)

Which areas are you usually in?

Channel 1/3/4/5 & 8 (I think) are the most active repeaters in Perth. Although channel 5 is an emergency only channel.

Have a read through the posts in this forum (baring in mind some people do make stuff up).

Does your radio specifically state that it can use a repeater? As what it does when you enable this mode is receive for example on channel 1, and it automatically transmits on channel 31 (which is the repeaters 'input'). Same goes for example channel 3, the input on repeater mode in channel 33.

But pretty much active repeater mode for 1-8 to keep things simple.

For a handheld the only best way to pickup signals/transmit well is to be outside :P
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

thnx mate...im actually in NSW, Sydney but i cant seem to find a CB radio forum here in NSW....so you think i should keep all the repeaters turned on?

thnx thats what im gonna do....is it me or there are quite a few rude ppl using CBs, i always thought ppl where considerate of others...maybe times of change or its just here in sydney...been listening all day at theres alot of swearing on these channels...esp on the road channel 40
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Sadly that seems to be "the norm" nowadays for CB in some areas. It's one of the reasons I no longer use CB as I can't abide the language and carry-on.

As for the repeaters, take a look at page 13 of the user manual if it came with the radio. If it didn't, you can download it as a PDF from Uniden's website here. It appears your radio does support duplex (repeater) operation and that page shows you how to activate it.

Your radio is only capable of transmitting at 1 Watt, so the range unfortunately isn't going to be THAT great. To improve performance, make sure you're using the radio out in the open. You'll likely notice quite a difference operating inside vs outside the house for example.

Good luck!
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Ahhh righto, yes stick all 1-8 in repeater mode. I'm not sure if this list is current but its a start: http://www.cbradioaustralia.com.au/uplo ... ations.pdf

And to be honest CB is just full of idiots 90% of the time.
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

wishbone wrote:..its a uniden 1W radio (UH049SX)..
Good little radio's, I have the twin pack. :wink:

I feel that the later models have more of a "manufacturered" feel to them as opposed to it's predesecors, the Uniden UH040XR-UH042XR-UH044XR. In any case, I had an audio problem with one of mine and sent it back to Uniden. A week later they had me a brand new single UH049SX pack at my door... terrific service that was!!
wishbone wrote:thnx thats what im gonna do....is it me or there are quite a few rude ppl using CBs, i always thought ppl where considerate of others...maybe times of change or its just here in sydney... been listening all day at theres alot of swearing on these channels...esp on the road channel 40
There are some Youtube videos floating around of "CB Gang Wars" or something to the likes that Seven news made in Sydney, unfortunately for the people who made the story the person they featured isn't an angel himself. I can't say that i've heard anything else as "big" and as complained about like the CB radio scene in Sydney. You'll get drongo's anywhere you go, and as for channel 40 truckies are truckies, don't let any of them ruin your experience.
yorky wrote:Ahhh righto, yes stick all 1-8 in repeater mode. I'm not sure if this list is current but its a start: http://www.cbradioaustralia.com.au/uplo ... ations.pdf
And to be honest CB is just full of idiots 90% of the time.
Agreed!! Can't argue with that when you put it like direct context...
Here is another good website for repeaters listings: http://www.tropinet.com/cgi-bin/repeaters.cgi?NSW
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

thnx guys...u have been such a help...im thinking about buying something more powerful..the ones at that dick smith make (dse 5watt CB radio) are they any good? the 5watt uniden ones are like close to 500 bucks! im currently a full time student, so i dont really have that amount of cash lying around...to tell u the truth i listen rather than talk...so i was wandering is it better off that i pick up a scanner than a 5watt 2way?

thnx again

wishbone
yorky

Post by yorky »

For those prices just get a scanner. Again to be honest for you especially I wouldn't bother forking out for a high output handheld.

The Uniden 100 channel or 200 channel scanners will work fine to listen and at least you can use it for other things.
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

cheers mate..yeah i think i might save up for a scanner..however do u think i should save up and get a digital scanner? DSE sell their own branded digital scanner for just under 500.....so you think im better off getting a scanner than a 5watt uhf?? cheers!
yorky

Post by yorky »

Depends on what is available on the air in your area, usually stuff on digital isn't yet as available as analogue bands which would be in more use around the place. There is little to no talk over this side of the land about digital radio at all (except the Police which is encrypted so even with a digital scanner you wouldn't get anything).

Stick with an analogue scanner if you don't intend on talking much on CB.
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

thnx again mate for your reply....okay i think im gonnna get a scanner...however i dont know which one to get...so digital scanners cant pick up regular CB radios signals? i mainly want to use the scanner in a car to see whats going on around me and at home too :P ....i have looked at dse and uniden sell two kind of handheld scanners...http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store ... View/D2764 and http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store ... View/D2765...i would appreciate if someone could tell me the diff. between the two...and say if i did purchase and analogue scanner, will i have to throw it out when they switch over to digial?

thnx again guys!
yorky

Post by yorky »

Depends who 'they' are. Whoever they are, yes you are right analogue will only get analogue and digital digital.

The differences of them are, the more expensive one has an extra receive band (though what frequency range I don't know), can store an extra 100 channels and comes with a charger and rechargable batteries (AA).
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

thnx mate...so with the analogue scanner i can pick up all the CB radio channels i can hear on my 1watt 2way as well as other channels? is an analogue scanner got a greater recieving range than a 5watt 2way? and what is your thought...what scanner should i get (which one do you think is good for a beginner like me :D...if can be any scanner...because i only know about uniden scanners...) oh yeah can someone else tell me the difference between a 100ch and 200ch scanner? is it just for storing channels?

cheers mate!
yorky

Post by yorky »

Correct, you can pick up the exact same CB channels. The receiving range is about the same if not slightly better.

Get the first link 100 channel is money is tight.

And that's correct its simply another 100 memory channels to store.
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

thnx mate...okay then im gonna save up for thet 100ch uniden!! thnx!! so is that the best budget scanner out there? and so it still means i can scan all the channels that the 200ch can bt jst cant store as many channels...hence i can only store 100ch as opposed to the 200? thnx mate u have been such a help for a person who doesnt know anything about radios..i was a die hard listener to the online police scanner, bt last year they started to encrypt them :( ...and ever since that has happened i have been dieing to get my hands on a radio....the 1watt is alrite, i do pick up a few channels here and there but i think a scanner will be better!

thanx again mate!!