New CB simple car install

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
yorky

New CB simple car install

Post by yorky »

Hi guys,

Just looking at some car CB installs, are the 'Remote Head' versions something where you can put the head elsewhere in the car, and how does that work?

I've got a bootmount + antenna already so I was thinking as I don't really have a DIN spot free that I could mount the CB under the seat?

Cheers
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: New CB simple car install

Post by vk6hgr »

yorky wrote: I've got a bootmount + antenna already so I was thinking as I don't really have a DIN spot free that I could mount the CB under the seat?
If you were getting a remote-mount radio you do get a generous length of cable to use between the body of the radio and the head (or in some cases, just the control mic), so it makes it easy to mount the radio in the boot where there's usually plenty of space and have nothing for anyone to see in the cabin.

I don't put radios under seats as they get trodden on and assaulted by cargo rolling around on the floor. These days seats have electronics in them for airbags, and the last thing I want to do is put a radio transmitter close to those sensors!
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
yorky

Post by yorky »

Valid points thanks Gav :)

I don't have any airbags etc in my current vehicle so interference isn't an issue.

I'm looking at the Uniden UH500SX-RM at the moment. From prestigecom.

Any ideas if they are cheaper anywhere else?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: New CB simple car install

Post by Zebedee »

vk6hgr wrote:I don't put radios under seats as they get trodden on and assaulted by cargo rolling around on the floor. These days seats have electronics in them for airbags, and the last thing I want to do is put a radio transmitter close to those sensors!
Bah, where's your sense of adventure??? :)

Although I mounted my Yaesu 2m/70cm under the passenger seat, I've come to realise that the audio quality isn't quite as good as I'd hoped - especially if someone's sitting in that seat! I think I need a remote speaker as well - something else you may need to consider Yorky, if you mount your CB in the boot :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
yorky

Post by yorky »

The UH500SX-RM's speakerphone has a speaker in it though right? ("Equipped with a Remote Speaker Microphone") so shouldn't have an issue there.

I was thinking about power as well, now obviously they are a 5W output, but any ideas what the unit actually uses? I've got a 120W 2nd socket in the front that I may just plug it into to start with. I already occasionally plug in the 65W laptop so need to know if I can run both of them from that socket...
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

yorky wrote: I was thinking about power as well, now obviously they are a 5W output, but any ideas what the unit actually uses?
I always fit 5W CBs with a 2A fuse and never have any problems.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr