CB Radio

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
Millsy

CB Radio

Post by Millsy »

Hey all,
i recently got given a pair of massive car cb radios that require a licence... now @ 15 i havn't got the cash to pay for the licence every month... My uncle said that u can get a chip put into these radios to turn them into normal 40 chan UHF's. . . i was wondering if anyone know of any places i can get this done and how much this will set me back.... would be a great help
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Mate,

Contact WA CB in Perth, they do all that sort of thing.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Rusty_Nail
Amateur callsign: WYC681
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UH090 Uhf - Base Station
UH076sx - Handheld 5W Uhf
UH075 - Handheld 5W Uhf
Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah - AM, LSB and USB 27Mhz
Uniden Bearcat Handheld Scanner
Uniden Bearcat Base Station Scanner

Post by Rusty_Nail »

Im assuming its a commercial radio?
What sort? and how many watts does it output?

I know a few guys down here (mandurah - where I live) that fix radio;s and scanners etc...

Good luck.
Bill

Over 5 watts?

Post by Bill »

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any Gov. department of some sort that monitors the repeater channels? Because I hear it is illegal to have over 5 watts, but it's quite obvious on channel 8 (Perth) that people have more than 5 watts output.

****having a whinge because I get squashed all the time lol****
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Over 5 watts?

Post by vk6hgr »

Bill wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any Gov. department of some sort that monitors the repeater channels? Because I hear it is illegal to have over 5 watts, but it's quite obvious on channel 8 (Perth) that people have more than 5 watts output.

It's not just about power. Someone living in the city with even a small handheld will 'squash' someone in the suburbs using 25W. It's not about power output, it's about the signal strength you get into the repeater's receiver.

That was a big reason why I barely use CB anymore and why I got an amateur radio license. On AR, you can actually have a decent conversation with someone and nobody transmits over you.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Bill

Post by Bill »

It's not just about power. Someone living in the city with even a small handheld will 'squash' someone in the suburbs using 25W. It's not about power output, it's about the signal strength you get into the repeater's receiver.

That was a big reason why I barely use CB anymore and why I got an amateur radio license. On AR, you can actually have a decent conversation with someone and nobody transmits over you.

I'm a waste of time newbie here... whats AR? is that AM?

A friend and I are thinking about getting rid of the UHF and trying AM, I hear you can get out further, but its not as clear as UHF?.

thanks
Bill.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Bill wrote:
I'm a waste of time newbie here... whats AR? is that AM?
Amateur Radio :-)

http://www.wia.org.au/What%20is%20Amateur%20Radio.php

Bill wrote:A friend and I are thinking about getting rid of the UHF and trying AM, I hear you can get out further, but its not as clear as UHF?.
Generally speaking, that's true. However AM relies on the atmosphere to propogate it long distances and the conditions for that are at the lowest at the moment (following the regular 11 year solar cycle). Might as well stick with UHF... or better yet, have a look at www.wia.org.au about the new "Foundation" amateur radio license that will be introduced soon.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your input/reply vk6hgr.
Bill

Post by Bill »

the above thanks was from me, did not log in. :roll:
PRC-495

Re: Over 5 watts?

Post by PRC-495 »

Bill wrote:Hi all,

The ACMA Australian Communications and Media Authority are in controll of the UHF CB Band, however these days, they don't monitor it as much as they should. Alot of people break the power restriction laws.

[PRC] Perth Radio Club. 495