For discussion of AM and UHF CB
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Event Channel

Post by spartacus »

I was working at an event last week and we were using the good old CB radios to communicate.

However, I new about the "popular channels", 8, 16 etc and the emergency channels but there were some were people were using them as simplex communication.

Is there a channel which is (officially or unofficially) designated for events...
thankyou and sorry to all those who i hassled

PS. it was me who said hi to warsug at about 7:30 on Friday on CH39
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
yorky

Post by yorky »

CB is CB. There is no designated channels for anything except CH5/35. Everything else is fair game, but of course its preferable for people to be civil about it, and not broadcast on repeater inputs (31-38 ) or 5, or the repeaters unless you use the repeater wisely.

If its just going to be simplex choose anything else. I've also heard local traffic controllers on CB.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

yorky wrote:CB is CB. There is no designated channels for anything except CH5/35.
Well, there kinda is.

Here's the deal with UHF CB.

Channel's 1 through 8 are designated for repeaters. You should never transmit using simplex on these channels.

Channel's 31 through 38 are the repeater inputs. You should never directly transmit on any of these channels either.

5/35 are the emergency channels.

Channel 11 is the official UHF call channel

Channels 22 and 23 are not for voice communication, they are strictly for telemetry/data communication such as remote controlling pumps and bores on farms etc.

Channel 40 is the truck/road channel (not officially, but generally this is what it is used for).

Unofficially channel 18 is generally also used by people traveling the country in caravans.

All other channels are available for normal voice simplex conversations.

Hope that helps
Regards
Bonez
Clontarf[X]

Post by Clontarf[X] »

I always thought 16 was for road trips. Maybe someone was lost in translation :D And strange you should mention the low 20's channels, could explain the weird stuff I pick up sometimes going down SW Hwy and up here around The bush
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

40 is often also used for traffic control out in the country. That way the truckies (and sometimes VFRS) can hear what's going on with roadworks.
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

My work is guilt of using a repeater channel for simplex operations, they have been using it for years and don't want a change. As all, they use CTCSS to make it harder for those to get on and tell them to go packing...
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

so i should stick with 39 in the future?
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yes 39 is good. 12 to 21 is usually the easiest to remember.

Though a very strange occurance with my 5W hand held, often it scrambles my 10" touchscreen in my car, very very annoying because I have to turn the screen off and on again :?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

Country HWP also sit on UHF CB - Channel 40

Say "Hi" next time one passes you :lol:

Cheers, CC 8)
Clontarf[X]

Post by Clontarf[X] »

Yeah CH40 has been useful many times while I've been driving around down south, hearing the Roadworks coming up (especially useful on a long stretch to refresh your attention).

Didn't know about HWP on UHF though. I kinda assumed they'd be listening though. It makes sense.