40 Chan switch fo GE CB

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
SOL

40 Chan switch fo GE CB

Post by SOL »

OK you CB gurus here's a curly one. 8)
Managed to pick up and old General Electric 27MHz 18CH CB Model No A3-5825B. These are I from what I've read are a sort after model amongst enthusiasts so I hope some one may be able to point me in the right direction. I looking for a 40 channel selector that I can fit or a location that I may be able to get one. I know this is a big ask but restoring old radio's is always difficult.
Any one able to help?
:)

Thanks Sol
Noel Taylor
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

From my meagre understanding of HF CBs there are two main types - crystal driven and PLL driven. To convert it to 40 channel version there would mean you have to have for the crystal driven version a series of tuned circuits able to operate on the other 22 channels or, for the PLL version, some way of getting the 22 channels to operate. Chances are also that it may have an LED display which might not be able to operate on anything over 18 channels. (Depends on the type of LED display being used.)

It might not be easy to simply pop a 40 channel switch in there.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

WPXZBP wrote: It might not be easy to simply pop a 40 channel switch in there.
Yeah... to further add to the bad news, the Australian 18 channel allocation was different to the US 40 channel allocation which we now use.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
SOL

PLL on the GE 5825B CB

Post by SOL »

Thanks for the reply Guys. :D
This model 27MHz CB does have a PLL chip and with the correct channel selector can tuned into what ever channels the selector is designed for.
Remember back, the first CB's were all 23 channels (mostly XTAL) and all pirates. Next came the legal 18 channel rigs and finally the 40 channel units.
Iv'e seen this model of CB on the internet with the Australian 40 channels fitted so some one in cyber space may now something about where to get the selector. I really don't want to have to install dip switches to get the full Aus 40 channels it sort of defeats the purpose of restoring the radio. :(
Rumor had it that these radios were originally designed for the amateur 10m band but were modified for 27 MHz CB by GE to get a radio onto the CB market. (trivia)
Any way lets see if any thing turns up on the forum and again thanks.

:D
SOL
Noel Taylor
jules

40 ch

Post by jules »

Hi i got the same cb i got a 99 ch switch from dick smith in WA took me a bit to work it out now she works good
arc

Re: 40 Chan switch fo GE CB

Post by arc »

I know it's a bit late, but some of these guys don't know what they are talking about. I believe that GE runs on a PLL02a chassis, one of the best. These are easily modified. Just wondering if you found that selector as I am looking for one myself.
SOL

Re: 40 Chan switch fo GE CB

Post by SOL »

G'Day arc Never too late :)
I have all the info for this CB,s PLL and could mod it with switches but I'm reluctant to do this. I would prefer to keep it in one piece, be it with a new 40 Ch switch.
How ever 27MHz is beginning to open and most of the traffic is outside the old 18 channels, very frustrating. After the last big sun spot the band opened up and I manged to find some one on one of the 18 channels. A good contact was made and it made me think of the mods again. Haven't found anyone who's got surplus parts for these units as yet, but I still keep looking.
I had a near miss on e-bay some dude was selling a broken GE (same model) but by the time I found out it was gone, DAM!!
If you have any luck locating some parts drop us a line :)
Thanks and C YA
sol
Noel Taylor