Channel ctcss question

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Channel ctcss question

Post by Jared »

Just a quick question.

On my 2w cb hand held the other night. I was trippping nz, n south headland etc. Obviously a fair distance and thats all according to the freeky world of CB. If I imput a ctcss code into it will it still trip that far???

Cheers
yorky

Post by yorky »

Sorry? Tripping? NZ as in New Zealand? Maybe you were on that channel thats linked through the Internet.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Yeah i was. Sorry tripping is my word for like getting/reaching.

Does that still work on a ctcss sub channel?
Clontarf[X]

Post by Clontarf[X] »

From Rockingham, unless you've got a pretty good unit I doubt you were getting NZ simplex. Most likely on the internet repeater (UHF 18 perhaps?)
yorky

Post by yorky »

CTCSS doesn't make a difference, just means if you have a CTCSS channel set on your end you will only hear replies from other people on that CTCSS channel.

Its just annoying for others that can plainly hear you but can't talk back. If you go onto there channel theres no way for them to ask you to please change...
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
radiotech

Re: Channel ctcss question

Post by radiotech »

Jared wrote:If I imput a ctcss code into it will it still trip that far???
You should of tried it to see if it worked, it's not like it was going to lock you out of "tripping" you out of NZ. Does your radio permit you to send CTCSS tones on your transmission but not on the receivable audio? Mine does, handy feature for accessing repeaters and not blocking out stations using simplex without the tones!

What made you determine that you were receiving NZ stations? I won't rule the theory out, only because I was receiving a station about 200km away on my handheld.