CB Radio Etiquette?

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
dan

CB Radio Etiquette?

Post by dan »

So I went and bought those 1watt handheld’s that I posted about a few days ago and I am very happy with the range.

Plugged them in and found very little activity on any of the channels (which is good for me, I guess. :P) but I did notice channel 1 had these two guys chatting for quite a while on it just talking about news and stuff.

Anyway while I am listening this other guy comes in, who is obviously not from Australia and these other two guys start abusing him, swearing at him calling him some very colourful names.. then later on these same guys are all friendly to a truckie that starts chatting to them.

Is it illegal to abuse people in this sort of medium? Or is just another medium (sort of like IRC, I guess?) and is there any way to track people who abuse others?

Also, I noticed (from there conversation) that they were quite a distance from me (in the hills somewhere – I cant remember)… can I hear this because of the repeater stations around the place? And how can I know if I can speak back to them? I tried, but it was as if they were just not getting the signal? I put it down to only having 1 watt of transmission power, so it doesn’t reach the repeater?

And one last thing (I promise :P)… A lot of the conversation came grouped together .. as if two people were having a conversation real time.. and then it would stop for a bit.. before another chunk would come through.. Is this is a coincidence or do repeaters do chunks of conversation at a time?
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: CB Radio Etiquette?

Post by vk6hgr »

dan wrote: Plugged them in and found very little activity on any of the channels (which is good for me, I guess. :P) but I did notice channel 1 had these two guys chatting for quite a while on it just talking about news and stuff.
Hi Dan.

Welcome to CB :-)

You'll probably find with the small antennas on those radios is that there is activity around but you just can't hear it. What model radio did you get?
Is it illegal to abuse people in this sort of medium? Or is just another medium (sort of like IRC, I guess?) and is there any way to track people who abuse others?
Yes it is, just as it is in any other medium (including IRC!). Tracking people down is possible but it's difficult unless the person is transmitting often.
Also, I noticed (from there conversation) that they were quite a distance from me (in the hills somewhere – I cant remember)… can I hear this because of the repeater stations around the place? And how can I know if I can speak back to them? I tried, but it was as if they were just not getting the signal? I put it down to only having 1 watt of transmission power, so it doesn’t reach the repeater?
Channels 1 through 8 are repeaters on UHF CB. Perth has repeaters on channels 1,3,5 and 8. Channel 5 is an emergency only repeater. Channel 1 is in Wanneroo, Ch3 in Roleystone and ch8 in the city.

To be heard by the repeater you need to switch your duplex or repeater mode on. If you are on channel 1, your radio will then transmit on channel 31 (where the repeater is listening) and listen on channel 1. With the switch off it's like every other channel - transmits and receives on channel 1.
And one last thing (I promise :P)… A lot of the conversation came grouped together .. as if two people were having a conversation real time.. and then it would stop for a bit.. before another chunk would come through.. Is this is a coincidence or do repeaters do chunks of conversation at a time?
From what you've described I think you're talking about the repeater tail. On the CB repeaters (for some reason) the tail is 10 seconds. So the repeater will keep transmitting for 10 seconds after the last person has spoken. If nobody re-triggers the repeater in that time, then it will stop transmitting and wait for the next person.

Because the repeater is transmitting and receiving at the same time, unlike the normal simplex channels, you can transmit while it is still transmitting and you'll be heard.

Hope that answers your questions :lol:
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
dan

Post by dan »

I bought these:
http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh047sx2_index.asp

I mainly brought them for work (surveillance across short distances - which they do very well) but I wouldnt mind having some fun with radio, too.

I can see that there is a lot of learning to be done, with some of the words you used in your post. :P
Pty

Post by Pty »

According to the ACMA, CBRS (cb repeaters) need to have an ident every 5-15 minutes and a certain tail length. The ident is usually a voice recording or a quick morse code ident.

If you can receive a repeater, chances are you'll be able to transmit but less than 5 watts it starts to get a bit 'iffy'
PRC-495

Re: CB Radio Etiquette?

Post by PRC-495 »

Hey Dan, welcome to the CB :) The UHF CB is full of idiots like the ones you have heard on the Wanneroo channel 1 repeater. Simply because UHF CBs are so easy to get your hands on these days. Parents are buying little hand helds for their kids for christmas. Every christmas we have to put up with what we call "christmas CBers" They are kids who get given handhelds for christmas and come on not knowing how the radio works and in a result, cause problems. It ashames me when I hear adults being as imature as "christmas CBers" some idiots will come on the channel and start randomly abusing people or causing conflict amoung users. All of which is never called for. Best thing to do is just ignore such behaviour and only chat to those you know are mature and good operators.
Enjoy your time and if you hear a Perth Radio Club member out there, they are always very friendly operators to talk to so I reccomend you say hello to one of them if you wish. :)
Bye now!
[PRC] Perth Radio Club. 495