Cheap-ish 2W UHF Handhelds

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
Brad

Cheap-ish 2W UHF Handhelds

Post by Brad »

The non-profit group I run is looking for 7 2W UHF handhelds to use at our next event.

Anyone know where we can get 7 of the suckers for ~$100ea? Or should I tell the committee they're dreaming, and to buy them for ~$258/pair from the local DSE?

Cheers,
-B.
yorky

Post by yorky »

You'll be struggling for under $100 for a 2W I think, though have a browse here http://www.prestigecom.net.au/ I've purchased from them before and they are a great mob.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

You might have luck on Ebay
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

i would have a got at buying those cheap 5 watt chinese things off ebay if your only using them once other wise you may want to expand you budget a little bit and get some UH-044 2 watt handhelds made by Uniden , ive got one i paid about $170 for it and ive had it 12 months and it hasnt let me down unless im useing a repeater ,but simplex its good for what i paid
Brad

Post by Brad »

Lucas_arts_182 wrote:i would have a got at buying those cheap 5 watt chinese things off ebay if your only using them once other wise you may want to expand you budget a little bit and get some UH-044 2 watt handhelds made by Uniden , ive got one i paid about $170 for it and ive had it 12 months and it hasnt let me down unless im useing a repeater ,but simplex its good for what i paid
That's looking like what we'll have to do.

Thanks to everyone for the comments :)
Avtur50_exVet

UHF Hand helds

Post by Avtur50_exVet »

G'day matey I bought 2 off ebay they called NEE you have to be carefull as they are full 5 watt Tranceivers if you by 7 you may get them for a song but be ware they TX&RX on the Police freq.
if you search for auction777_Century he has some great TX/Rx
Pat
I'm an ex Serviceman Viet Vet Ret'd

Honour The Dead
Fight Like Hell For The Living
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: UHF Hand helds

Post by westernwedgey »

Avtur50_exVet wrote:be ware they TX&RX on the Police freq.
So this would make them ILLEGAL TO USE then wouldn't it, whether your careful or not.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

what was the crimestoppers number again, ME FORGOT
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

westernwedgey wrote:
So this would make them ILLEGAL TO USE then wouldn't it, whether your careful or not.
Not on the last time i checked. As long as you do not transmit on them they are fine. However, if you accidentally press the pressure switch, that is illegal.
EDIT: This is not legal advice. I suggest you check with a more reliable source then me (:oops: ) before you buy them.
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

These radios are generally not type approved for the CRS in Australia. If they do not have the Ctick approval sticker and the appropraite type approval it illegal to use them anywhere but the amateur bands. For that you need the appropriate amatuer license. Regardless of what the nice man from overseas selling the radio's says. For more information try the Australian importer of these hand held radio's and read his disclaimers.
Just because lots of people are purchasing from overseas doen't make them legal to use.
FLAME SUIT ON.......
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

spartacus wrote:
westernwedgey wrote:
Not on the last time i checked. As long as you do not transmit on them they are fine. However, if you accidentally press the pressure switch, that is illegal.
EDIT: This is not legal advice. I suggest you check with a more reliable source then me (:oops: ) before you buy them.
As has been posted in another thread, an offence is committed as soon as a radio that is capable of transmitting on frequencies that you do not have the authority to transmit on, is connected to an antenna.

Whether you actually key up the radio and transmit is immaterial, the fact that you have in your posession a radio that is capable of transmitting is enough.

Again though, I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, do your own research if you think that knowing the right answer might be important to you...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

Ok, Thanks for clearing that up.
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
Avtur50_exVet

UHF CB Radios

Post by Avtur50_exVet »

These nare classed as UHF CB Radios and the freq not req can

Pat
I'm an ex Serviceman Viet Vet Ret'd

Honour The Dead
Fight Like Hell For The Living
WPXZBP

Re: UHF CB Radios

Post by WPXZBP »

Avtur50_exVet wrote:These nare classed as UHF CB Radios and the freq not req can

Pat
:?: :-k :smt017