Handheld for use in both Australia and Canada/USA

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
seth

Handheld for use in both Australia and Canada/USA

Post by seth »

Hi,
I'm new to amateur radio.

I'm looking for a pair of small hand held devices that I can use legally in Australia and in North America (Canada specifically). I'll be using it while I am skiing.

From what I can tell the UHF CB channels in Australia use a different frequency to the North American equivalent FRS/GMRS. I'm assuming this mean I can't just purchase the normal 40 CH UHF Unidens from Dick Smiths etc.

Can anybody help me with some suggestions on this. I'm not sure this is the right place to ask but I can't seem to find other sites in Australia that may be able to help me with my questions.

Thanks in advance.

Seth
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

+_+
Last edited by radiotech on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seth

Post by seth »

Hi MIchael,
Thanks for your prompt response. I've also found a uniden KYD TK-338 at DSE, would that do the job?.
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

+_+
seth

Post by seth »

Hi Michael,
Copy and paste error there. The uniden I was refering to is UNIDEN 92XLT VHF/UHF Scanner.

Anyways the KYD looks like it would do the trick. I'll try and hunt around for one, any suggestions where?
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

+_+
seth

Post by seth »

Hi Michael,
Now I am understanding things a bit better.

I'm in Sydney.

Cheers
Seth
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

+_+
Last edited by radiotech on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

You forgot to mention that field programmable radio's are illegal in both if not all countries. The radio's are not legally sold in Australia unless locked to the amateur bands only. To have modified radios will get you big fine and or imprisonment if caught. To operate on the Amateur band requires a license in all countries and a reciprocal license with any other countries you visit. Some like Singapore will not allow reciprocal licenses
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

+_+
Last edited by radiotech on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

ACMA .Possesion is sticky point but if connected to power and an antenna it is up to you to prove it is not being used illegally. Unlike normal police action where innocence is presumed until guilt proven with the act it is up to you to prove innocence. A lot harder to do and very few once caught get out of the charges
p.s. Antenna and power means whip and battery.
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

+_+
Last edited by radiotech on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fly_on_the_wall

Post by fly_on_the_wall »

Last edited by fly_on_the_wall on Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

fly_on_the_wall wrote: Sorry to tell you Nick but you are completely wrong. Keypad programmable radios are NOT ILLEGAL in Australia, the US or Canada.
The Radio Communications Act isn't too clear about these radios. It's against it to own a radio that can transmit in bands you do not hold a license to operate.

I think though that a person who owns such a radio and is responsible with it is fine.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
HEKTIK
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by HEKTIK »

I got a Quansheng Keypad programmable UHF, can do all the UHF frequencies. I was questioned at Sydney airport about it as i left it in my hand luggage when i was about to board back. to Perth. I basically told them i was a hobbiest and was just picking up local frequencies top listen/talk too. They said ok and set me on my way. So id safely say they are ok to use as long as your not interfering with commercial operators.

This is great little handheld BTW, 5w of power, desk charger, keypad programmable, easy to use and does all AUS UHF CB frequencies with the correct mods.
Perth Online Police Scanner

http://waix.net:8000

RIP