Radiation hazard from CB Radios?

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Radiation hazard from CB Radios?

Post by slipknot »

would the Radiation from a CB Radio 5 Watts be more harmfull then a tiny mobile phone?
fly_on_the_wall

Post by fly_on_the_wall »

Last edited by fly_on_the_wall on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

I'm sure you've heard conflicting stories regarding the possibility of adverse health effects from radio frequency radiation that is put out by mobile phones and/or base stations.

Some studies claim there is a link between RFR and health issues and other studies say the opposite.

I work on the fact that I haven't died yet, so it must be ok :)

Here is one article by the US Government that seems to suggest that a CB radio wouldn't produce any significant effects.
Hand-held "two-way" portable radios such as walkie-talkies are low-powered devices used to transmit and receive messages over relatively short distances. Because of the low power levels used, ... they should not expose users to RF energy in excess of safe limits.
If you are really concerned about the possibility of health problems arising from the use of a CB type radio, you should probably do some more web searching and see what you can find. You could also ask your GP on your next visit, but I don't know how successful that would be, as it's probably not something a GP would be well versed on.

Hope this helps...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.