Legality of streaming UHF

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
wnm

Legality of streaming UHF

Post by wnm »

Hi..

Can someone advised what would be the leagal implications/limitations of streaming UHF radio over the web publicly. (CH 1 - 8)

Thanks
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

the best people to ask , would be the australian comm and media aurthority.

www.acma.gov.au

there the boss.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

There's quite a few repeaters already being streamed over the net, do a google and you will find them.

I don't think it's illegal.
fly_on_the_wall

Post by fly_on_the_wall »

Last edited by fly_on_the_wall on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

fly_on_the_wall wrote:IT IS NOT ILLEGAL.
With respect, the person asking the original question would be foolish to base a decision on a post like the one above. If it's right, then no harm done, if it's wrong then they could land themselves in hot water and a defence of "some guy on a forum on the Internet said it was OK" probably wouldn't work :)

If you want a legal opinion, ask a lawyer, or as slipknot suggested, contact the ACMA which is the Federal Government agency responsible and ask for a ruling from them. (Which may or may not be successful, but it's a good place to start.)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

couldnt have put it better my self, but yes, the acma are the people who lay the laws down about anyy type of communication in australia.
there the federal govourments department of communications so they are the only people who can veryfy that for sure!
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

i wanted to stream police radio over a cb channel, i asked them and they said that its illegle , so i had to stop it.

i asked them if you could obtain a licence for UHF cb that allows you to transmitt to a higher wattage.

they said that you can not transmitt over 5 watts on uhf cb period.
so i said to myself "ok"
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

slipknot wrote:i wanted to stream police radio over a cb channel, i asked them and they said that its illegle , so i had to stop it.
I'm not the ACMA so I'm only guessing as to why they might have said that, but I wonder if their reasoning was that they want you to have the permission of the person or organisation who licences the frequency you were wanting to stream. e.g. if WAPOL said it was OK, then you could.

Or I could be on entirely the wrong track - that's not uncommon :)

It is very dark.
fly_on_the_wall

Post by fly_on_the_wall »

Last edited by fly_on_the_wall on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

fly_on_the_wall wrote:with regards to streaming over uhfcb, NO WAY, very much illegal and could face hefty penalties.
<sigh> I shouldn't be allowed to post at night when I'm tired.

When I read the original question, I saw the word "streamed" and assumed the next words would be "over the Internet" but they were "over UHFCB".

Therefore I was answering a question that hadn't been asked in the first place ...

I'll retire now in disgrace :)

It is very dark.
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

well, channel 1 repeater dose that so im sure you can, but you should dboule check, you know what the acma are like :?
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

you CAN stream any cb , because its not a private comms like WAPOL , with cb any one can listen at anytime espeaciley on repeaters so its fine to stream
HEKTIK
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by HEKTIK »

i could easily add channel 1 to my scanner if there is any intrest in it, but i think i will keep it off until digital fully kicks in if it ever does? just way too much nonsense to listen to on KZ Tower to mix it with serious police scanning

EDIT: Actually, there is a online stream of PER01 channel 1 repeater online and its run by the channel owner group. Check it out!
Perth Online Police Scanner

http://waix.net:8000

RIP
PRC-495

Re: Legality of streaming UHF

Post by PRC-495 »

My take, its not illigal. As said above, repeaters are streamed all the time over the internet. Easily accessed by anyone who looks. :)
[PRC] Perth Radio Club. 495
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

HEKTIK wrote: Actually, there is a online stream of PER01 channel 1 repeater online and its run by the channel owner group. Check it out!
Hey mate , have you got a link for that.... I did a couple searches and cant seem to come up with it.