27Mhz SSB

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
OzPrepper
Scanners and Receivers: UBCD396XT and UBC355XLT

27Mhz SSB

Post by OzPrepper »

Hello All

I bought a Uniden UBCD396XT last summer, figured I would reminisce my youth when I used to listen to them and to be honest I can't hear much being in country WA other than the local FESA in summer for the bushfires so not sure I can justify having a $400 scanner sitting around only to listen to it once a year.

I have tried a whip antenna on the roof of the house and still don't really hear much so I was thinking of taking the plunge and selling it and getting myself the old SSB CB radio and setting it up as a base station with maybe a Station Master MK1 Antenna and trying my luck at that.

Problem is 27Mhz is not as popular as it was in my youth either so I'm not sure if it will be the same as the scanner and I won't be able to hear/talk to anyone.

I signed up for a radio school to look into getting my HAM foundation license but to be honest after looking at what is involved and the costs of HAM radio equipment I might put that on hold for now.

So, after my long winded post, is 27Mhz still around, I hear of people still into it and especially in the US or would that also be an expensive hobby needing a huge antenna to contact people??
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: 27Mhz SSB

Post by vk6hgr »

People still use 27MHz... It's not as madly popular as it once was and casual conversation has migrated more or less completely to UHF CB but just recently I was listening to a couple of folks having a good conversation going on ch35 SSB.

Amateur radio isn't as expensive to get in to as it used to be, but yes if you're in a country area and there aren't a lot of local hams to talk to using cheap VHF/UHF gear, you'll have to get HF equipment and find some space for a suitable antenna.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
OzPrepper
Scanners and Receivers: UBCD396XT and UBC355XLT

Re: 27Mhz SSB

Post by OzPrepper »

Thanks for the reply.

I just purchased a Galaxy 979, next stop will have to be a GME PSA123 power supply and antenna so I will give it a go and see. I have also heard that skip has been quite good the last few years so it will be interesting get it all set up and try.