Tait T2020
Motorola XTS5000, GP328
Baofeng GT-3
UBC92XLT
UBC245XLT
Kyodo KG208

using UHF CB for business

Post by AustDaveWA »

From reading the reg's, I believe that the business I am working for can use the uhf CB frequencies (476.4125 – 477.4125 MHz), but cannot claim any exclusivity or "ownership" of the channel we are on. To prevent our radios from hearing other users we have set the tone mode for Tx/Rx to DTCS. Our radios have four channels

Ch 1 476.9250 (UHF Ch 21)
Ch 2 477.0000 (UHF Ch 24)
Ch 3 477.0750 (UHF Ch 27)
Ch 4 477.1750 (UHF Ch 31, UHF Ch 1 repeater input)

our radios are setup for simplex Tx/Rx

are using GP328's and a Kenwood ( not sure of the model).

There are 3 operational UHF Ch 1 repeaters in western australia according to the website http://www.uhfcb.com.au/Channel-1-Repea ... tralia.php and they are

SIL01 Tom Price
PAN31 Pannawonica
PER 01 Wanneroo

Whilst my Centre is in Rockingham, I'm not sure of the frequencies the other 3 centres are using, possible Joondalup Centre could be causing interference on PER01 and they might not be aware of it. Should we be using our programmed Ch 4 (477.1750), or should I make the recommendation that we select another frequency
if you need to ask, then you don't need to know
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: using UHF CB for business

Post by vk6hgr »

AustDaveWA wrote: Whilst my Centre is in Rockingham, I'm not sure of the frequencies the other 3 centres are using, possible Joondalup Centre could be causing interference on PER01 and they might not be aware of it. Should we be using our programmed Ch 4 (477.1750), or should I make the recommendation that we select another frequency
Yep, select another frequency. It's against the class license to use a repeater input as a simplex channel and they would definitely be interfering with PER01 from Joondalup.

Are the GP328s narrowband? (Probably not type approved for CB if they're not, but that's another problem) If they are you could select a narrowband "half" channel - ch49 to 80 but you're right, nobody has ownership of a channel so select one that isn't a repeater input or output, isn't channel 11 (calling) or 39 or 40 (not in the standards but used practically 100% for truckies and highway).
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
yorky

Post by yorky »

Or channel 5/35 is a no no as well.

But as Gavin has said don't ever use 31 simplex.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
AustDaveWA
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCD396XT
Tait T2020
Motorola XTS5000, GP328
Baofeng GT-3
UBC92XLT
UBC245XLT
Kyodo KG208

Post by AustDaveWA »

Thanks guys,
appreciate the feed back. I don't know who set the radios up, but I'll have a chat with my boss on the next shift. I know that the freq's I've listed above are the ones for our centre, but don't know if they will be the same for the other three centres.

If they are not linked then i will see about changing them. If the 328's can do NFM I will look at moving the radios to the top end of the 80 channels and seeing the to NFM.

I have to do is figure out what model Kenwood we have so I can hopefully change that as well. Will chirp work with the Kenwood
if you need to ask, then you don't need to know