Anyone wanna try out CB radio with me?

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
danoroth
Scanners and Receivers: Midland LXT 118, 22 channel, 18 mile range (yeah right)

Anyone wanna try out CB radio with me?

Post by danoroth »

I just picked up myself a CB radio from Dick smith, the brand is Uniden and it is handheld, i just want to see what range i would get with it, it has 10KM+ on box, but seeing I'm in city i just want to see what range i would get, If anyone is in the Joondalup area, go onto channel 10 and talk, if i can hear you i will reply, i will leave it on all night.
yorky

Re: Anyone wanna try out CB radio with me?

Post by yorky »

You won't go that far unless both ends are reallllllly high up.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
danoroth
Scanners and Receivers: Midland LXT 118, 22 channel, 18 mile range (yeah right)

Post by danoroth »

yorky wrote:You won't go that far unless both ends are reallllllly high up.
Well i live in the Joondalup area, and have 2 of the 10km+ UHF CB radios, my mum went driving around 2- 3km and i Received a minimum contact, It has great quality from 1-2km in the city area, so give it a try, I'm always on channel 10, and can hear some people always arquing on channel 3,4 and 5. Do the channels (3,4,5) have any significance? Are they repeater channels? Also in Nollamara, Perth will i be able to connect to any repeaters?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

danoroth wrote:Do the channels (3,4,5) have any significance? Are they repeater channels?
Yes - channels 1-8 and 31-38 are the repeater channels. If you have one of the newer 80 channel CBs, 41-48 and 71-78 are also repeater channels.

It is generally considered to be good operating practice to stay off these repeater input and output channels unless you are using the repeater. Otherwise your simplex (direct radio to radio) conversation with someone can also be causing unintentional interference to the repeaters. If you want to talk direct, picking a different channel that's not one of those above is the best option. For example you've been on channel 10 which is fine for that kind of thing.
Also in Nollamara, Perth will i be able to connect to any repeaters?
The best way to find out is to travel there and give it a shot. It all depends on exactly where you are, what may or may not be in the way between you and the repeater, that kind of thing.

Just stay away from Channels 5 and 35. If you remember from a previous thread, using those channels when it's not an emergency is illegal. Yes you'll hear other people doing it, but be the bigger man, don't add to the problems...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Magnus »

May be worth noting that the easy way to know if you are hitting a repeater is to listen for the tail
Nosferatu
Amateur callsign: VK6XS
Scanners and Receivers: Icom IC-R6
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

How did you go with the CB ... ? Did you manage to talk to anyone ?
CBeesrRad

Post by CBeesrRad »

Hi, bit of a late response, but I've thrown them away now haha. (I'm using my new account, and here to stay now). Plus, I was 17 when I posted that, you wouldn't want to be talking to a 17 year old, I was pretty boring back then.. I've got a Digitech 5W UHF CB radio now, pretty stock standard. But I bloody lost the charger for it :/