Waccom UV5r opinions?

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by roland985 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Alright. To put everyone's mind at ease in this circumstance:

1) I just went to the shops and purchased a legal, expensive, CB radio. Oricom UHF5500.

2) The Baofeng will be deactivated by myself (Ie, I'll disconnect the power terminals inside the device to prevent it ever working by mistake.) until I get my foundation license. (Yep I'm keen.)

It's a stop-gap solution, and I still run afoul of the law, but it's the best I can do at this point. I DO NOT want to potentially interfere with anyone else's comms. To do so would be idiotic.
WASES CSU

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3166
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:42 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6DB
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by Zebedee » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:32 pm

roland985 wrote:2) The Baofeng will be deactivated by myself (Ie, I'll disconnect the power terminals inside the device to prevent it ever working by mistake.) until I get my foundation license. (Yep I'm keen.)
That does seem a bit extreme :)

Just don't unpack it and turn it on and you'll be right - or if you do turn it on don't push the PTT :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by roland985 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:45 am

Zebedee wrote:
roland985 wrote:2) The Baofeng will be deactivated by myself (Ie, I'll disconnect the power terminals inside the device to prevent it ever working by mistake.) until I get my foundation license. (Yep I'm keen.)
or if you do turn it on don't push the PTT :P
Yeah. I've researched how to program it for receive-only. It is possible to program the TX power output on all frequencies to 0.

If I ever do use it, it will be as a scanner.
WASES CSU

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3166
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:42 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6DB
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by Zebedee » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:36 am

roland985 wrote:Yeah. I've researched how to program it for receive-only. It is possible to program the TX power output on all frequencies to 0.

If I ever do use it, it will be as a scanner.
Yep I've done exactly the same thing with some frequencies in my handheld that I want to be receive-only. If you try and press the PTT button on one of those channels, it just gives a rude beep and won't let you transmit :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by roland985 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:34 pm

Yep.

I wonder where danoroth ended up. I read through all his comments, he was rude from the start.
WASES CSU

roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by roland985 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:03 pm

Okay. My very illegal radio arrived. It's an impressive unit.

But I need a license before I can even think about touching PTT. What where the contact details for Ham college?

I'll call them tomorrow morning.
WASES CSU

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3166
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:42 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6DB
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by Zebedee » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:20 pm

www.hamcollege.com.au

First Foundation course of the year is the 14/15 Feb with the assessments on the 21st.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by roland985 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Time to book in...
WASES CSU

Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 3:35 pm

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by Turbo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:22 am

Those Baofeng radios seem to be very popular.

I know quite a few volunteer fire-fighters that own one and they were actually supplied by someone at their fire station, pre programmed.

Seems there are many volleys breaking the law.

yorky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2623
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:46 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by yorky » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:08 am

Programmed for DFES use? Since they are basically a commercial programmable radio, and the vollies would be trained and authorized to use the frequencies allocated to them (i.e. the normal radios used) then this should be fine?

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm not sure if something like a C-Tick is required in this case which these radio's wouldn't have.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2576
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:33 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by vk6hgr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:13 am

yorky wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm not sure if something like a C-Tick is required in this case which these radio's wouldn't have.
I can't comment on vollies using non-Vertex self supplied radios, as it's more of a DFES policy thing, but commercial land mobile equipment needs to be certified against AS/NZS4295 to be legally used in Australia. Most, if not all, Chinese radios haven't been approved and so aren't legal to transmit outside of amateur bands.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr

yorky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2623
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:46 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by yorky » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:52 am

Excellent that clears that up, so basically this radio can only be used by amateur on amateur bands full stop by the sounds of it.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator

roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Waccom UV5r opinions?

Post by roland985 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:33 pm

vk6hgr wrote:
yorky wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm not sure if something like a C-Tick is required in this case which these radio's wouldn't have.
I can't comment on vollies using non-Vertex self supplied radios, as it's more of a DFES policy thing, but commercial land mobile equipment needs to be certified against AS/NZS4295 to be legally used in Australia. Most, if not all, Chinese radios haven't been approved and so aren't legal to transmit outside of amateur bands.
I asked our DFES comms peeps about this a while ago. You are correct. Not a good idea, and DFES can indeed prosecute you.
WASES CSU

Post Reply