How to programme a CB radio's frequency

For discussion of AM and UHF CB
danoroth
Scanners and Receivers: Midland LXT 118, 22 channel, 18 mile range (yeah right)

How to programme a CB radio's frequency

Post by danoroth »

So this never crossed my mind, if it were possible could i programme the Midland LXT 118, it's from America but i want to know if it is possible to programme any old CB Radio? If so what equiptment would i need? here is the actual product: http://www.midlandradio.com/Two-Way-Radio.BS3/LXT118

But even though it has 22 channels, couldn't i just programme it to the 476-477mhz but stop at channel 22?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: How to programme a CB radio's frequency

Post by Zebedee »

No. That radio is fixed to the 22 channels that they use in the USA. They can't be reprogrammed to work on the Australian CB channel allocation (besides, there's 80 CB channels here, not 22).
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
danoroth
Scanners and Receivers: Midland LXT 118, 22 channel, 18 mile range (yeah right)

Post by danoroth »

Zebedee wrote:No. That radio is fixed to the 22 channels that they use in the USA. They can't be reprogrammed to work on the Australian CB channel allocation (besides, there's 80 CB channels here, not 22).
But is it possible to programme it to fit Australia's frequency, but stop at channel 22, still linking to the Australian 476-477mhz only stop at cannel 22?
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

Not possible, youd be far better off buying a new radio then trying to modify those ones anyway.
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

danoroth wrote:
Zebedee wrote:No. That radio is fixed to the 22 channels that they use in the USA. They can't be reprogrammed to work on the Australian CB channel allocation (besides, there's 80 CB channels here, not 22).
But is it possible to programme it to fit Australia's frequency, but stop at channel 22, still linking to the Australian 476-477mhz only stop at cannel 22?
No, you can't. You can't reprogram them at all, and even if you could, you're not allowed to.

If you ever travel to the USA, you can take 'em with you to use over there. But there is *no legal way* to use those radios here in Australia *at all*.

As NRA55 says, the only realistic option is to buy a radio that's specifically designed for Australian CB use.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.