For discussion of AM and UHF CB
Broadsword
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC92XLT
GME 1W Handheld UHF CB
UNIWA F40 Network Radio

UHF CB and or Zello - Trying to generate some activity

Post by Broadsword »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmEMGh4 ... Manchester

This is an interesting example of what can be achieved with a few like minds and a bit of advertising on social media etc.

A great PMR446 net in the UK that is held every Sunday at 8pm in the Manchester/North West area. Other areas do the same.

Could we do similar here in Perth on UHF CB? I'm willing to create a FB group if that would help spread the word. Could we actually get UHF CB to be used correctly with decent etiquette? Possibly a tall order but I guess if you don't try and all that.

Times and a channel or repeater would have to be worked out of course.

Having said all that is there a net or something already going on somewhere that isn't maybe widely known?

Alternatively, its not radio per se I know, but I do have a Zello channel named Perth Radio Group if anybody was interested. Feel free to join and give a shout out. There are a few radio enthusiasts on there from various places around the world but not too many actual QSO's. That needs to change and can do so with ease if a few locals fancy joining the group. I'm on there listed as callsign NR2049(Mick550) or as
Maj. Smith(Broadsword).

The beauty of the Zello channel is that reliability and clarity etc are almost a given and that you only need your smart phone to get going. Dedicated radio like units can be purchased or course that have a PTT button if you so wish.

So, of interest to anyone?

Cheers!
Broadsword (Calling Danny Boy.....of course)

Zello - Perth Radio Group
Zello - The Funkraum
Broadsword
GME 1W Handheld UHF CB
UNIWA F40 Network Radio

Re: UHF CB and or Zello - Trying to generate some activity

Post by Broadsword »

Take it that's a no then! :roll:

Zello - The Funkraum
yorky

Post by yorky »

Just personal thoughts, with the advent of technologies over CB (like Zello), typical use of CB with decent etiquette to me is a thing of the past. It's really only used for local simplex stuff. It's rare that I can even raise a trucker on 40 these days.

Also with Discord and the like being easy to use at home and mobile, which automatically manages groups of people, has become more preferable.

Another issue with people these days is many are just too busy. 20-30 years ago there wasn't much to do with radios being in their prime. These days, family, Internet and related games and online activities have taken over especially in the current 25-40 year old age bracket.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Broadsword
GME 1W Handheld UHF CB
UNIWA F40 Network Radio

Post by Broadsword »

Hi Yorky!

Thanks for your input.......all true and valid points.

I just think its a shame when you can see how well PMR446 is used in other countries.

I do like Zello for the reasons you state and there are some decent channels available on there.

Cheers.

Zello - The Funkraum
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Only problem is the PMR446 nets are usually within smaller towns, but here in WA, it's vaaaaaaaast lands. It'd still be neat to try something like that though.
Broadsword
GME 1W Handheld UHF CB
UNIWA F40 Network Radio

Post by Broadsword »

JhG123 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:33 pm Only problem is the PMR446 nets are usually within smaller towns, but here in WA, it's vaaaaaaaast lands. It'd still be neat to try something like that though.
Hi JhG123!

The nets do occur in the smaller towns but also do well over wider areas too. Particularly of course given the easier access to high grounds in the UK say.

I still think that if there were enough like minds that something could be achieved here.... with a bit of willpower etc.

Where are you located? I’m in the northern suburbs. Cheers!

Edit ** sorry just realised from previous posts that you are somewhere to the south. With that in mind do you know if ROC46 is working at the moment?? Tried to ping it last night but no joy. Thanks 👍

Zello - The Funkraum
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Broadsword wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:35 pm
JhG123 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:33 pm Only problem is the PMR446 nets are usually within smaller towns, but here in WA, it's vaaaaaaaast lands. It'd still be neat to try something like that though.
Hi JhG123!

The nets do occur in the smaller towns but also do well over wider areas too. Particularly of course given the easier access to high grounds in the UK say.

I still think that if there were enough like minds that something could be achieved here.... with a bit of willpower etc.

Where are you located? I’m in the northern suburbs. Cheers!

Edit ** sorry just realised from previous posts that you are somewhere to the south. With that in mind do you know if ROC46 is working at the moment?? Tried to ping it last night but no joy. Thanks 👍
Yeah I'm located south of the river, so I'd probably have to use my car's CB to have any luck of getting heard.

Just tried kerchunking that ROC46 repeater but didn't have any luck, I'll give it a shot next time I'm going past Rockingham and let you know, probably just to do with my QTH.
Broadsword
GME 1W Handheld UHF CB
UNIWA F40 Network Radio

Post by Broadsword »

I tried to hit it from Freo but had no joy.

I’d be interested to know how you go on your travels.

Thanks 👍

Zello - The Funkraum