Newbie-Need some help and have some questions

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

mosvar

Newbie-Need some help and have some questions

Post by mosvar »

Hey folks! New to the board and this type of radio system as such. I just had a few questions any help would be much appreciated.
Lately a lot of emergency service helicopter traffic has been around my house in the Fremantle suburbs. It interests me to know what they are up to etc. Could anyone tell me what type of radio I would need to follow their transmissions? Where to buy one or maybe the responder has one for sale?

Also I assume this is clearly different frequencies than the police radio on on the ground. Is this obtainable by the same device if purchased. Thanks for your help to this newbie!
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Newbie-Need some help and have some questions

Post by Blinky »

I think you will find the only radio traffic you can hear from Emergency Service Helicopters is the Airband traffic when they talk to Air Traffic Control. They use they same frequencies otherwise as by the ground services and so if encypted as most are now , not possible to receive.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
mosvar

Post by mosvar »

Thank you for your help. Any word where I might get my hands on a cheap novice scanner fro ground level police- listening?
mosvar

Post by mosvar »

OOPPPSSS SORRY for being super lazy idiot! :oops: Just scrolled down to the for sale section of this board. With that said any suggestions for a beginner? Nothing fancy. Cheap-0 stuff.
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

mosvar wrote:Thank you for your help. Any word where I might get my hands on a cheap novice scanner fro ground level police- listening?
read this http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4424

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
yorky

Post by yorky »

As above, in short any Police radios are digital encrypted so you won't be able to listen.

The air band channels will talk to the aircraft but only simple stuff like where they are heading, and they are usually under own navigation anyway.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator