Virgin Australia

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Virgin Australia

Post by written_ficton »

Confirmed, ATR will be seen in the Virgin Livery!
Last edited by Nafenn on Sat May 07, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: New Airline Name
I've closed the door!
Nafenn

Virgin Blue

Post by Nafenn »

written_ficton wrote:Confirmed, ATR will be seen in the Virgin Livery!

I was right!
Care to provide some sort of source?
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Boeta

Re: Perth January February March Movements

Post by Boeta »

Nafenn wrote:

I was right!
He may have discovered it elsewhere, however I sourced it out of the ASX report below.

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20110223/p ... shtl5s.pdf
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Nafenn wrote:

I was right!
straight from the sources mouth. but as boata showed, its also on asx.

Bye Bye Qantas.
I've closed the door!
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

written_ficton wrote:Bye Bye Qantas.
How so, the routes already exist, and are being flown already by virgin. They have changed aircraft because the 170s are far too thirsty compared to whats used by other opperators (Saab 340s, Dash 8's, etc). Any WA routes would either be Virgin or Skywest codeshare routes anyway.

Their move into the corporate market would be more compedative to Qantas than this
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Nafenn wrote:
written_ficton wrote:Bye Bye Qantas.
How so, the routes already exist, and are being flown already by virgin. They have changed aircraft because the 170s are far too thirsty compared to whats used by other opperators (Saab 340s, Dash 8's, etc). Any WA routes would either be Virgin or Skywest codeshare routes anyway.

Their move into the corporate market would be more compedative to Qantas than this
Hmmm, DJ's ATR72's are not just to replace the EMB-170's, they will also expand into lessor known airports where they can be profitable on the back of turboprops.

The Business class will work, seeing pictures of the business class its going to put Qantas to shame.
I've closed the door!
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Yes i saw images of their 330 business class, its all very well and good untill the person infront decides to lie down, there goes your TV :roll:

Im against their new uniform, now they are no longer a stand out airline, but just another airline.

*Virgin have a few tails that can call on to grab the business market, however as they have done so, Qantas can up the number of J class seats on any route out of Perth with a click of a finger.
*Qantas have 180 deg Lie flat beds, Virgin only have a 70 deg pitch.
*Virgin are buying planes for skywest to operate on routes they already have, Qantas have brought some 717's and are aiming for jets to Geraldton and Exmouth
*Qantas have their own terminal own staff, own equipment with their own lounge, Virgin have to rely on what WAC does, and also use a out sourced ground handler, which means they may have to come 2nd some times
*Qantas have Q Catering, Virgin have gate who... oh Gate Gourmet :roll:

I dont think either airline is going any where.
Nafenn

Re: Virgin Blue

Post by Nafenn »

yeah, don't get me started on catering.

VB also has the AFL contract, the NBL contract and is working on getting the govt transport contract (when they dont use BBJs)
Nathan Fenn

written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Qantas have 180 deg Lie flat beds, Virgin only have a 70 deg pitch
Close, but not quite correct. QF's international configured A330 and 744 are not a 'lie flat' bed. Close, but not quite. With the seat in the reclined position, your feet will be hanging off the end and underneath the seat in front.

Qantas's new A380 aircraft have genuine lie flat bed and that's the seat that will be gradually retrofitted to the 9 744s they're keeping, commencing this year.

The existing domestic configuration A330 has the older style business class seat that only reclines a few degrees.

To confuse matters, the latest 2 domestic A330s delivered have the new, unpopular 3 abreast business class at 42" pitch, but with the Panasonic in-seat IFE.

Evidently after much criticism and in light of Virgin's new seat, QF new business class has been scrapped and the two 330s with it will be reconfigured.

With the International aircraft coming on board to do domestic runs are QF going be offering a standard domestic service on an aircraft that happens to have intl seats? If so, then business passengers may find no real advantage in the QF product over the DJ one, and just choose the most convenient flight time.

Personally, on a PER flight I would find the seats pictured eminently comfy enough to have the required kip inflight. I don't really need a turndown service for what will essentially be a 2hr snooze after dinner and before touchdown. Even less if you are eastward bound where the flight time can be significantly shorter.
Yes i saw images of their 330 business class, its all very well and good untill the person infront decides to lie down, there goes your TV
You will find that the screen will pull out from the bottom so the screen is in the best position for viewing, much like VA's PE screens.
*Virgin are buying planes for skywest to operate on routes they already have, Qantas have brought some 717's and are aiming for jets to Geraldton and Exmouth
Not True. Skywest will be leasing them from Airline Investments their counterpart and provide a WET Lease [Aircraft Crew Maintenance and Insurance] to Virgin Blue.

Qantas have not brought any more B717's, they in fact they are trying to lease two more examples of the B717. Actually one cannot confirm that they have even leased as there are rumours around that these aircraft currently will be snapped up by American customer.
Virgin have a few tails that can call on to grab the business market, however as they have done so, Qantas can up the number of J class seats on any route out of Perth with a click of a finger.
Not really, Qantas is pushed for capacity and cannot simply click there fingers and el presto an 747-400 comes out to do domestic runs. Don't forget there are more A330's on the way than the two that are about to be delivered. It all takes time...
Last edited by written_ficton on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I've closed the door!
Infernal

Post by Infernal »

Hmmm well, I work for an airline, you work for....?, I think my information is more credible.

Qantas are getting 2 new 717's for Perth, along with 10 aircraft for Network

Qantas have announced that they will be using the lie flat beds in the 744 on the PER SYD route

Qantas are also looking at changing the 2 3 2 config back to 2 2 2 in the 330's
Qantas is applying blow torch to Virgin Blue’s plans to snare some of the corporate market with a new business class product by introducing 747-400s on the Perth-Sydney route from May.

The new 747 service will leave Sydney at 10am for Perth and will depart Perth for Sydney at approximately 1pm.

The 747-400 will be in an international configuration with business class lie flat beds, premium economy and economy layout.

Virgin Blue will introduce a new business class product in May with its first two 300-seat A330s which will be dedicated to Perth services from Sydney and Melbourne.

Qantas will also announce today that it will reconfigure some of its A330s reducing the number of business class seats to a six across layout.

In December, Qantas re-introduced a business class layout on its A330s of seven across in a 2-3-2 setting.

The airline tried this when it first took delivery of the A330s eight years ago but pressure from corporate accounts saw it scraped.

Most Qantas A330s are still in the six across business class layout.

Qantas will also add another 1700 seats a week on its Brisbane-Perth route with an additional daily A330/767 service.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa ... th-sydney/
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Qantas have announced that they will be using the lie flat beds in the 744 on the PER SYD route
QF's international configured A330 and 744 are not a 'lie flat' bed. Close, but not quite. With the seat in the reclined position, your feet will be hanging off the end and underneath the seat in front. I believe that the current A330-300 and 747-400 seats are defined as "lie flat" which are flat but inclined) but are not "flat bed" which is flat and horizontal as per the QF A380.
Qantas are getting 2 new 717's for Perth, along with 10 aircraft for Network
Qantas have brought some 717's
According to http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/an ... D&period=M tThe lease of two additional B717's for Qantas Link which will not be entering service with QAN until FY2012! That's over a year away. The FK100's will be ultimately used for the FIFO market, which is why QF brought Alliance in the first place?
I've closed the door!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

AO11912 wrote:Hmmm well, I work for an airline, you work for....?, I think my information is more credible.
I don't think that makes your information "more credible" unless you can back it up with sources, etc. The same goes for anyone. If there's no source, it's speculation, nothing more. Who you work for is immaterial in that regard.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Infernal

Post by Infernal »

Zebedee wrote:
AO11912 wrote:Hmmm well, I work for an airline, you work for....?, I think my information is more credible.
I don't think that makes your information "more credible" unless you can back it up with sources, etc. The same goes for anyone. If there's no source, it's speculation, nothing more. Who you work for is immaterial in that regard.
Well id like to, but I cant scan in the notices we get at work, and upload them here.

I wouldn't lie, or make any thing up, half of what i have mentioned here is in the media any way, a simple search on 747's to Perth will bring you every thing that I have said Qantas will do.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

The only problem with the Qantas 747's is that there is only a daily rotation.
The new 747 service will leave Sydney at 10am for Perth and will depart Perth for Sydney at approximately 1pm.
How is a single rotation of B747 aircraft really impact the Virgin Blue A330 services? With DJ's two A330's they are capable to doing up to 2 return services daily each depending on scheduling of the aircraft using the 'new' business class seats.

Coupled that on top of the B737-800 / A330 services that will still operate the routes with the 'old' domestic business class its really going to be hit and miss.

The believed MSN numbers of the first two former EK aircraft are MSNs 365 & 372.

To me Qantas is throwing anything they have available at the scare that DJ are providing them. With a mix bag of international / domestic configured business class seats on the PER - MEL route it is going to be really confusing to the punters.
I've closed the door!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

None of this really has anything to do with Radio Scanning here guys.... :roll:

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.