Red Bull Air Race - Axed from Perth

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

gkoutlis

Red Bull Air Race - Axed from Perth

Post by gkoutlis »

Well... there goes another spectacular annual event......

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/ne ... cancelled/

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Nafenn

Re: Red Bull Air Race - Axed from Perth

Post by Nafenn »

It's not axed from perth, it's axed full stop for 2011, whether it comes back is unknown
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

bring back Rally Australia :D

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

I hate to say it but that article is another media bulls up, when I read it I got the same impression as G.

That article imply's it had been axed from Perth only, it wasn't till the 5pm news on triple J that I found out the whole race had been axed
Tourism WA slammed over Red Bull chop
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Yep, the entire 2011 season has been pulled, as per this announcement from RBAR.
STATEMENT - World Championship confirms one-year break in 2011

Red Bull Air Race GmbH confirmed that for the future success and development of the sport, the World Championship will take a one-year break in 2011.

The organization will use this opportunity to fast track the technological advancements currently in the making which would further improve the already high levels of safety.

There is a need to revise the main organization and commercial areas to realize the full potential of the sport including the development and reinforcement of strong host city partnerships which would secure a long term race calendar.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Interestingly the linked article from the original post has been heavily edited since the original post was made. The linked page, when originally posted by the West Australian was much smaller. Obviously as more information was forthcoming it was added to the original article. What is now paragraph 13 of the linked article was originally at the top of the article and clearly states the whole event was cancelled; "This morning Tourism WA confirmed that it had been informed that all stages of the global event had been axed for 2011"
It is unfortunate that people put so much faith in online media, when it is clearly the most unreliable of all the forms of media. It is most often published with the emphasis on speed, not accuracy and can be regularly edited and updated. [/rant]
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!