Radio Selection for a new radio user

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

jase

Radio Selection for a new radio user

Post by jase »

Hi, I have recently moved to Australia, and my step-son is training for his commercial pilots license.. he wants to be able to listen in to the air band while at home as well as pre/post flight. At max he's going to be using 5 freq's, tower, ground, approach, departure and possibly the center overhead, but not anything in the 'power user' class. I was previously ATC and as such I understand his passion for this and want to encourage it, and as he insists on him buying a VHF receiver himself, I'm trying to find one for him that fits in his limited budget.

Does anyone know of a radio RX that is in the sub 100 dollar range and has (obviously) minimal features? were it to be a manual channel change with no presets/scanning, would be fine, just needs to be portable (tram/train rides to and from the airport for him are ~2hrs with his books, thus a heavy massive radio doesn't work).

As I said, I recently moved here so I'm not even sure where to start looking in this hemisphere.. so I'm at a loss. Stumbled upon your board and thought maybe someone would have an idea to start looking. I am in Melbourne, and I understand that the board is centered on the other side of the country, and as such, many stores won't be in my immediate vicinity but I am comfy to do business by phone or email or websites, with shipping. As long as I know where to look :)

Oh.. and second-hand radios are fine, but those don't seem to be common. Or at least not where I've been looking.

Jason
Bonez

Re: Radio Selection for a new radio user

Post by Bonez »

You can start with Dick Smith Electronics

http://www.dse.com.au

They carry a few scanners from basic through to advanced. I do not like your chances in getting something <$100 though unless it's 2nd hand.
jase

Post by jase »

I started at the store there, but when inquiring there they told me that they do not carry any scanners any longer and referred me to two other places that then also told me that they do not carry anything that would work either. I don't see anything on EBay and I'm unfamiliar with where in the second hand market I should begin looking, any tips on that?

Thanks for the tips to Dick Smith though, when he told me no, I didn't question him as I probably should have.

Jason
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

If you fancy a gamble try this

http://tiny.cc/syur8

I know absolutely nothing about it, I just searched. The price is right. How good or bad it is would be the gamble.

If you search eBay overseas a lot of these type of scanner show up. In the end I guess it ends up, you get what you pay for. Usually if you pay a little extra you get better quality etc. I assume there would be no problem importing but customs can be strange about some things.

as they say Caveat emptor

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Dick Smith have pretty much left the market unfortunately.

Keep trying eBay searching radio scanner and something should come up. There is one on there at the moment but old and large.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Christ Blinky that thing looks like a kids walkie-talkie from the 1980's... I'm sure Jason can do better than that :)

Your local DSE store might not have what you want, but if you go on to the website and choose the item you want, it will show a list of stores that the product is in stock. Failing that, you can order it from their online store.

They might well and truly be phasing them out, but they certainly aren't gone yet.
jase

Post by jase »

Bonez wrote:Christ Blinky that thing looks like a kids walkie-talkie from the 1980's... I'm sure Jason can do better than that :)
haha!

yeah I think I'm going to take a pass at that one, but I do appreciate the alert there Blinky, I'd rather he got something quality and 4th hand, than total and complete crap that will work for an hour, 1st hand :)

The draw back is that being new to the country, I have less of an idea than some to be able to find the venues to find things such as radios.. not that they're obscure, but for some reason the internet seems to be soaking up some of the demand that had been there in the past, for whatever reason.

Appreciate all of the responses here, and I'll pass along the wisdom received to him and alert him to the ebay idea.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

If you are in Perth - go to the pilot shop at Jandakot (Aeromotive i think its called) and speak to the guys there... i think they have some small little Air band RX only scanners. Being a pilot myself - having a scanner it a bit of a necessity... and is very useful in saving the aircrafts battery when waiting for a clearance :)
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

UBC73XL for $152 here -> http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php ... cts_id=714
They are in Malaga.
They also have a desltop unit for $124 here -> http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php ... ts_id=2244 but not much use if you want to carry it carry around.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Comint

Post by Comint »

While not quite in the price range, at $170, the Maycom AR-108 from Skylines Pilot Supplies at Moorabbin Airport, might be worthwhile considering.

In the past, Pilot Shops at General Aviation airfields, have had a selection of Receivers capable of receiving the VHF Aeronautical Band, although this does not seem to be the case in recent years.

--
Comint
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Bonez wrote:Christ Blinky that thing looks like a kids walkie-talkie from the 1980's... I'm sure Jason can do better than that :)
I never said they were good :wink:. As the brief was sub $100 that was an option (and I did say gamble) as there are not too many handheld options sub $100 at the moment on eBay. Of course the best thing would be pay higher and get something that could be used for other things too.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
Comint

Post by Comint »

jase wrote:The draw back is that being new to the country, I have less of an idea than some to be able to find the venues to find things such as radios.. not that they're obscure, but for some reason the internet seems to be soaking up some of the demand that had been there in the past, for whatever reason.
There are a number of pawn shop / second-hand outlets in the Melbourne area, known as Cash Converters, who sometimes have second-hand scanners in their stores. However, be warned that you should be aware of current Retail Prices before venturing in said stores, as they have been known to mark the second-hand items at, or very near, the going Retail Price. In other words, at, or very near the Retail Price of a brand new item.

--
Comint

Edit: Fixed URL
Last edited by Comint on Wed May 05, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Comint wrote:There are a number of pawn shop / second-hand outlets in the Melbourne area, known as Cash Converters

Try http://www.cashconverters.com.au instead ;-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
helimedic
Amateur callsign: VK6EMS

Post by helimedic »

jase

Post by jase »

Helimedic and others,

Thanks for the leads here, I have the scanner on watch and will keep an eye on that as time goes closer to it's end. The others I now have bookmarked, and I'll try to peek at those until I come across one.

Jason