Planes and air strip lighting

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: KINGS PARK BUSH FIRE

Post by wasaint »

Hey Nafeen quick question when Pilots activate Landing lights at remote strips is it done through a radio signal or some other form

I not its not related to this subject but Hey Sack Me LOL
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

wasaint wrote:Hey Nafeen quick question when Pilots activate Landing lights at remote strips is it done through a radio signal or some other form

I not its not related to this subject but Hey Sack Me LOL
If its installed, yes. if not: Some airstrips have ground activated lighting, and if they dont; in emergency situations residents near the airstrip will put lanterns out down the runway to light it up.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

When we did a RFDS transfer at kununoppin, we turned on the runway lights, and they stayed on for 30 mins after we turned them off just in case the plane returned, after 30 mins from kununoppin it was close enough to cunderdin.

I think the radio feture is something to do with flight sim, not sure??
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

Thanks Guys
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Planes and air strip lighting

Post by Zebedee »

{Waves magic wand}

Ta-daaaaaaa - splitski :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
orangepeel

Re: Planes and air strip lighting

Post by orangepeel »

Typically called PAL - Pilot Activated Lighting - activated via a specific freq - keyed up with the PTT (Push to Talk) in a series of 'on/off' clicks.

The other method is done via the ARFU - again - typically done with a series of clicks - however this freq is generally the same as the CTAF freq for the specific aerodrome.

normally key up the lights just prior to passing thru transition (above 10000') which is generally around 30nm away from the aerodrome - but this varies depending on what aircraft/speed you are flying at.

All PAL lighting - have the feature of being able to be tunred on via ground persons (typically a responsible person) - and have back up power available.

Depending on the aircraft type/flight rules/aircraft category operating under - there are some different requirements regarding aerodrome lighting and navaid requirments.

Most lighting at the major aerodromes are set to a specific spacing - this is requirement for many reason (lo vis ops) and also a CASA/ICAO requirment

Hope this can help to answer your question.