Aviation Transmiter Norseman ?

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

victor2121

Aviation Transmiter Norseman ?

Post by victor2121 »

I recently went to Norseman W.A and on a lookout Hill there was a Transmitter with Civil Avition on it, on my car radio I could pick up the signal which was in Morse Code and continuously repeating. I didn't think Morse code was used any more... Has anyone got anymore info on this ?

I think it was supposed to a positioning Becon.

I have tried to Google this but not had much luck ...

Appreciate any help

Thanks
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Aviation Transmiter Norseman ?

Post by Zebedee »

There's plenty of pilots around who'll give a better answer, but I'd be willing to hazard a guess that it's an NDB - a Non Directional Beacon.

From what I understand (see, Nathan, I do try and pay attention!) - an NDB transmits a three-letter "callsign" in Morse. Hence why pilots are still taught to read Morse I believe.

As for Morse not being used any more - it's still quite popular in Ham Radio circles :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Zebedee wrote:There's plenty of pilots around who'll give a better answer, but I'd be willing to hazard a guess that it's an NDB - a Non Directional Beacon.

From what I understand (see, Nathan, I do try and pay attention!) - an NDB transmits a three-letter "callsign" in Morse. Hence why pilots are still taught to read Morse I believe.

As for Morse not being used any more - it's still quite popular in Ham Radio circles :P
good work doug :-p

It was most likely a non directional beacon, a navigation aid which, like doug said, transmits a two or three letter callsign, or designator code.

Also. Morse code is a part of private pilots licence training
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Norseman's NDB identifies as NSM on 347kHz from memory.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Nafenn wrote:good work doug :-p
Woo! I've actually learned something from hanging 'round with these crazy pilot-types ;)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

WPXZBP wrote:Norseman's NDB identifies as NSM on 347kHz from memory.
If you were driving past it and hearing it on the car radio then you were probably hearing a harmonic. 694KHz?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Norsmans NBD should produce a code along the lines of this

- . . . . - -

See below in picture, i have Outlined the Morse Code

Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Apols for going off topic but seeings you posted that image, just quick question, what's the difference between CAT A & B and CAT C that it needs different paths?
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Aircraft Speed ranges on APP
(b) Aircraft approach category means a grouping of aircraft based on
a speed of VREF, if specified, or if VREF is not
specified, 1.3 VS0 at the maximum certificated landing
weight. VREF, VS0, and the maximum certificated
landing weight are those values as established for the aircraft by the
certification authority of the country of registry. The categories are
as follows:
(1) Category A: Speed less than 91 knots.
(2) Category B: Speed 91 knots or more but less than 121 knots.
(3) Category C: Speed 121 knots or more but less than 141 knots.
(4) Category D: Speed 141 knots or more but less than 166 knots.
(5) Category E: Speed 166 knots or more.
Faster plane, need wider turning circle

C and D includes most commercial Jet Aircraft

B would be turbo props

A would be Single engine light aircraft
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

Nafenn wrote:Morse code is a part of private pilots licence training
No - morse code is not a part of getting your private pilots licence [-X - where did you get that info from :?:

There is no requirement for a PPL to have knowledge of morse or use of navigation aids. As you should know - you are navigating VFR - so if you want to use navaids - you are able to use them for backing up your navigation skills (or if you get lost) - but you are not taught how to track via any navaids. You dont learn that until you start your NVFR - and then it is only basic naviagtion via navaids.

Morse code is not tested for pilots - as those that reference navaids on daily basis - the ident is on the approach chart - and a simple reference to what is being heard - to what is on the approach plate is all that is required for confirming the correct station ident. Some jets - have auto ident for some approach aids.

Please Nathan - try and provide true and correct information - as most people dont know anything about aviation - and tend to beleive what is read.

I appreciate that you are a student pilot - but it seems that a little information can be dangerous.

AO11912 is kinda on the right track with the information regarding cat speeds for aircraft conducting instrument approaches.

The Cat speeds for aircraft are based on Vref speeds - and these Vref speeds are derived basically from the Max Landing Weight of the aircraft. Typically A for single engine a/c - B for some large single engine, Typically piston twins and some turbo props, C for larger turbo props and most domestic jets and Cat D for heavy aircraft

Hope this information is of some help to those that are interested.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

orangepeel wrote:
Nafenn wrote:Morse code is a part of private pilots licence training
No - morse code is not a part of getting your private pilots licence [-X - where did you get that info from :?:

There is no requirement for a PPL to have knowledge of morse or use of navigation aids. As you should know - you are navigating VFR - so if you want to use navaids - you are able to use them for backing up your navigation skills (or if you get lost) - but you are not taught how to track via any navaids. You dont learn that until you start your NVFR - and then it is only basic naviagtion via navaids.

Morse code is not tested for pilots - as those that reference navaids on daily basis - the ident is on the approach chart - and a simple reference to what is being heard - to what is on the approach plate is all that is required for confirming the correct station ident. Some jets - have auto ident for some approach aids.

Please Nathan - try and provide true and correct information - as most people dont know anything about aviation - and tend to beleive what is read.

I appreciate that you are a student pilot - but it seems that a little information can be dangerous.

AO11912 is kinda on the right track with the information regarding cat speeds for aircraft conducting instrument approaches.

The Cat speeds for aircraft are based on Vref speeds - and these Vref speeds are derived basically from the Max Landing Weight of the aircraft. Typically A for single engine a/c - B for some large single engine, Typically piston twins and some turbo props, C for larger turbo props and most domestic jets and Cat D for heavy aircraft

Hope this information is of some help to those that are interested.

Excellent work Mr Orangepeel - couldn't have summed it up any better!

CC 8)
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

orangepeel wrote:No - morse code is not a part of getting your private pilots licence [-X - where did you get that info from :?:

Where i am receiving my CPL (Commercial Pilots Licence) training, Morse Code is a requirement... and is taught at the Private Pilots Licence Stage.

this is because at a CPL level, you should know basic instrument flight, which includes Navigation Aids, which includes Morse Code - to make sure you are on the right frequency, and have it tuned correctly.

Not everyone carries full charts (even though they are supposed to), so if you get lost, and know you are in X general area - you can dial up a Navigation aid, anf listen to hear if you are in range if you arent sure
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Nafenn wrote: Where i am receiving my CPL (Commercial Pilots Licence) training, Morse Code is a requirement... and is taught at the Private Pilots Licence Stage.
Just as a matter of interest, what speed morse do you get taught at?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Blinky wrote:
Nafenn wrote: Where i am receiving my CPL (Commercial Pilots Licence) training, Morse Code is a requirement... and is taught at the Private Pilots Licence Stage.
Just as a matter of interest, what speed morse do you get taught at?
not a clue, havent started yet
Nathan Fenn

victor2121

Post by victor2121 »

vk6hgr wrote:
WPXZBP wrote:Norseman's NDB identifies as NSM on 347kHz from memory.
If you were driving past it and hearing it on the car radio then you were probably hearing a harmonic. 694KHz?

Yes that is right, I was parked very close to it, thanks for the info, didnt expect so many reply's interesting reading..

Just as extra question, does anyone know the comercial flights from easten states how soon would they contact Perth control after take off ?

Thanks