Aviation Transmiter Norseman ?

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

Nafenn

Re: Aviation Transmiter Norseman ?

Post by Nafenn »

victor2121 wrote:Just as extra question, does anyone know the comercial flights from easten states how soon would they contact Perth control after take off ?

Thanks
Perth Bound Flights remain with Melbourne or Brisbane Center depending which side of the FIR line (see the image) they are on (Brisbane has north, Melbourne South), and they contact Peth Approach when passing into his airspace (i dont have the charts on me at the moment to tell you where it begins)

Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

Nafenn wrote:Morse Code is a requirement...
Well my friend - you are being taught the wrong thing. No where in the rules and regs are you required to know morse code. You dont need to know it - that is why the morse ident is on the charts.

Trust me my friend - if morse was a requirement - there would be a shortage of pilots out there - as there only a handful of pilots that i know that truly KNOW morse cose - and they are ex military radio operators and/or naval seaman

YES - when you are required to track via navaids - you are suppose to tune, identify, and test the aid - but you are operating under VFR - you are not required to be operating under the IFR when you have a CPL - geez my friend - i dont know what your school is teaching you - or what you think is required - but you are not required to know morse for any part of the PPL or CPL. You in no way are required to recite morse - hence you are not required to know WPM for morse. All that is required is listen to the morse and compare to the chart and make sure you have the correct station tuned up - incase you experience any skip or co-channel interference - but then again - you already know this .... so i will continue

Trust me my friend - you are not required to know morse - and you wont be tested in morse for your up coming exams. Even in the IREX - they dont require you to know morse - hence why there is always a morse chart close by to make sure you can relate the morse code to letters.

Yes - by all means - if you get lost - you can dial up a navaid and kinda track via it (more like home it). You are not required to carry full set of approach charts when you are operating under the VFR - as that is it - you are VFR - if you are operating under the IFR - yes you are required to carry the appropiate charts required to conduct the flight.

Why would you carry Brisbane terminal charts when you are operating a flight from Perth to Broome ???

Again - i think a little information (or mis-information) is dangerous.

I think maybe you should research your topics a little better before posting
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Note:
Nafenn wrote:Where i am receiving my CPL (Commercial Pilots Licence) training, Morse Code is a requirement
hate to sound like an ass, but the bold part is mildly important. And we are actually tested on Morse (see bold text)

now, i see this spiralling down the plug hole (and im involved #-o), and the question has been answered - so locking. Orangepeel... feel free to PM me if you feel that the morse code topic has not been discussed fully.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

Typically PH APP - only controls up to around 45nm on descent/climb out from PH - outside of that (in PH) you are on ML CTR
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Blinky wrote:Just as a matter of interest, what speed morse do you get taught at?
I can't remember where I heard or read it, but I'm under the impression that the NDBs send at ... 3 WPM? Hopefully someone can dig out the correct information for that.

orangepeel wrote:Well my friend - you are being taught the wrong thing.
The *wrong* thing? How so?

I'm sorry, but I'm more likely to believe someone who's in the process of doing the study and has all the relevant information in front of them, then someone else who just comes up with "naaaah you're wrong" without anything to back it up.
orangepeel wrote:geez my friend - i dont know what your school is teaching you - or what you think is required - but you are not required to know morse for any part of the PPL or CPL.

Trust me my friend - you are not required to know morse - and you wont be tested in morse for your up coming exams. Even in the IREX - they dont require you to know morse
It sounds like the course Nathan's doing goes above and beyond what is strictly required. Perhaps they're not satisfied with teaching the "bare minimum". Personally I'd prefer to fly with a pilot who does a little more than just what's required to get by ;)
orangepeel wrote:Again - i think a little information (or mis-information) is dangerous.

I think maybe you should research your topics a little better before posting
Perhaps if you think someone is wrong, you should show why, rather than just say "Nope. Wrong." I find that really does help when I want someone to listen to what I have to say. Otherwise who are we to know who's right, when it's just two differing opinions?
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Nafenn wrote:
victor2121 wrote:Just as extra question, does anyone know the comercial flights from easten states how soon would they contact Perth control after take off ?

Thanks
Perth Bound Flights remain with Melbourne or Brisbane Center depending which side of the FIR line (see the image) they are on (Brisbane has north, Melbourne South), and they contact Peth Approach when passing into his airspace (i dont have the charts on me at the moment to tell you where it begins)

Perth APP is 36 NM DME PH VOR and covers Surface to FL130

Perth Terminal control is located in the Gray building behind the CASA at the domestic airport on Fauntleroy Ave/Henderson Ave

As for contacting Perth control after take off, ass soon as they get airborne, typically Tower will hand them over with take off clearance by saying

"ABC123 once airborne, contact Perth Departures on FREQ 123.6, Runway 21, cleared for take off"