Final DC3 flights in perth (possibly)

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

Nafenn

Final DC3 flights in perth (possibly)

Post by Nafenn »

guys, i received word of mouth through the grapevine that on friday and saturday the last fligts of classic wings will be flying.

If anyone is interested, the aircraft callsign is most likely "charlie whiskey mike", and will be heard on jandakot tower: 118.10 and perth radar: 132.25 . I cannot remember the flight times, nor can i look them up at the moment as i am flat on my back in bed, with sfa wifi reception :-)
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Always RX

Re: Final DC3 flights in perth (possibly)

Post by Always RX »

I think you mean "Charlie Whiskey Sierra" :D . It's a shame the business couldnt survive here. It will be interesting to see what Rob has planned for her now.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Actually David owns the aircraft.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Helitak_670 wrote:Actually David owns the aircraft.
i thought Bill did? I know Dave and Bill both have ratings, but i was fairly sure that Bill was the owner.

had the flight today... was a lovely flight, and it was CWS... whoops :P

hopefully it remains in perth and airworthy, but if it doesn't, i'm glad i had the chance to be on it :)
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

ADMIN EDIT:

OK, just to keep things tidy and in their proper order, since both Nathan and I have posted pics of the plane and flight, I've split those out to a separate thread in the Pictures section:

http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5517&start=0

Cheers,
Doug.
Nathan Fenn

Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Post by Mug »

Is that a yellow fire extinguisher in the radio equipment shot?
I am led to believe they are illegal for some reason?

I know the ch10 heli has one, you can see it in the background when the do a live cross from it.
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Not illegal on aircraft.
Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Post by Mug »

WPXZBP wrote:Not illegal on aircraft.
Really? I picked up a flyer from FESA a few years ago advising all owners of the yellow ones to turn them into local fire station for replacement or something.
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Aircraft are exempt.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

For info, here's the CASA Airworthiness Directive that covers that type of extinguisher...

Specifically:

"The use of Halon fire extinguishers is now covered by Commonwealth Regulations. The Commonwealth Department of the Environment and Heritage (DEH) administers regulations covering the possession of Halon. See Regulation 304 of the Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Regulations 1995. In essence, it is an offence to be in possession of Halon unless it is contained in fire protection equipment installed in, or carried in, an aircraft."
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

Always RX wrote:I think you mean "Charlie Whiskey Sierra" :D . It's a shame the business couldnt survive here. It will be interesting to see what Rob has planned for her now.

The facts are:

1) There is plenty of work for this "old girl" to keep running but alas our Govt. friends at CASA have screwed over this Operation from the beginning;
2) Dave owns the aircraft and Dave made the heartbreaking decision to cease Operations.
3) A potential buyer for the A/C exists and is inspecting the "old girl" on Monday!

EDIT MOD: Removed Inflammatory Statements, Please keep it nice, AO11912
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

ConstableCare wrote:
The facts are:

1) There is plenty of work for this "old girl" to keep running but alas our Govt. friends at CASA have screwed over this Operation from the beginning;
2) Dave owns the aircraft and Dave made the heartbreaking decision to cease Operations.
3) A potential buyer for the A/C exists and is inspecting the "old girl" on Monday!
Lets be honest here... CASA arent happy unless they screw someone over

I have kept a little bit of a tab on the business (when possible), and both Dave, Bill (Daves Father for all of those who dont know, and one of the pilots - generally sits in the left hand seat) along with the other crew have worked their asses off for the company, and it is a shame that opperations had to cease.

I also hope that the perth buyer does purchase the aircraft... and if not, someone who will appreciate the aircraft for what it can do, and how few there are flying in this day and age (3 in australia including this one)

EDIT MOD: removed Quote Comments, AO11912
Nathan Fenn

ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

Nafenn wrote:...and how few there are flying in this day and age (3 in australia including this one)
This is the last true DC-3 operating in Australia. The remainders are C-47's that have undergone conversions...

CC 8)
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

ConstableCare wrote:
Nafenn wrote:...and how few there are flying in this day and age (3 in australia including this one)
This is the last true DC-3 operating in Australia. The remainders are C-47's that have undergone conversions...

CC 8)
Mr Pedantic :P

if you want to get technical:

it actually said during the flight that CWS was a C-47 that was converted ;)

Nathan Fenn

gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Fremantle Shipyards, our entry point into the Jandakot Controll Zone
With all due respect - The picture you quoted the above - IS NOT Shipyards to which we use to approach Jandakot according to the lastest GAAP procedures for Jandakot.

Ship Yards is located to the West of Adventure World way before Fremantle. It is the only entry point from the West that you can track inbound to Jandakot - unless your from the city and using Mt.Henry Bridge as a Visual Reference.

I know this, because I have flown/fly this route many times...

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.