Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

jasonjag
Banned

VATSIM Notice to Airmen (NOTAM)

Post by jasonjag »

Copy of an email sent to me....

Issued by Richard Jenkins (800012), 02-Nov-2008 07:48 UTC

On November 2nd at 2300Z seven full scale cockpit simulators depart Sydney Australia (YSSY) on a seven day round the world flight on the VATSIM network to raise money for various aviation related charities.

ATC coverage is assured 24/7 and the WORLDFLIGHT Group encourage all interested pilots to join in the fun.
Go to www.worldflightgroup.com and check the sims out and get a flight plan and schedule from the downloads section.
Terry Scanlan
WORLDFLIGHT GROUP COORDINATOR
Nafenn

Re: VATSIM Notice to Airmen (NOTAM)

Post by Nafenn »

jasonjag wrote:Copy of an email sent to me....

Issued by Richard Jenkins (800012), 02-Nov-2008 07:48 UTC

On November 2nd at 2300Z seven full scale cockpit simulators depart Sydney Australia (YSSY) on a seven day round the world flight on the VATSIM network to raise money for various aviation related charities.

ATC coverage is assured 24/7 and the WORLDFLIGHT Group encourage all interested pilots to join in the fun.
Go to www.worldflightgroup.com and check the sims out and get a flight plan and schedule from the downloads section.
Terry Scanlan
WORLDFLIGHT GROUP COORDINATOR
Thankyou

Terry Scanlan is also giving away PDMG Boeing 747-400 Tutorial DVD's for a $30 donation to the RFDS, if anyone is interested - please PM me for details.

For anyone who is interested, QFA25 - a Full Motion Boeing 747-400 Simulator - is currently flying, you can view the in-cockpit webcam by entering mms://202.3.36.9/wflive into your Windows Media Player
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Well, World Flight is over for another year.

Many images from the weekend have been posted here from the QF15 team (Boeing 747 Simulator based in Sydeny - im hoping to fly over and join in next year, depending on money and flying commitments.

i wonder if a Mooney 20J would make it to Sydney *scratches head*

One of my favourite things about WF is their sence of humour. the following images are from the QF15 team, a Boeing 747-400 Simulator based in Sydney. they also provide ATC services for the event.

FYI: Rob and Andrew are two very senior members of the VATPAC Board. Rob is the head of the board, and Andrew (a Real Life Air Services Australia controller in melbourne) is the head of ATC Training (and he is the one doing my Senior Controller Rating - dont know what that is? ask me :))
WF836 - Lahore Kathmandu
Rob and Andrew plan the special airspace and ATC procedures for Sundays arrival in Sydney
Photo: 371

WF836 - Lahore Kathmandu
A quick peek at the instructions for ATC
Photo: 372
The following is from the flight log of the PBN73 team, a Boeing 737-800 Simulator in Hobart
WF843: YPDN (Dawrin) - YBCS (Cairns)
by Greg Barber
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 9:19am
Captain: Greg "Twenty"Barber
First Officer: Steve "Shirley" Marion
Official Jumpseat Guests: Rod Haigh & Roul Van Mulers, thanks for the support guys.

We departed Darwin 30min late thanks to a late arriving aircraft but we were now back into familiar airspace with voices that we knew on the other side of the ATC scope. We took an intersection departure with shorter runway distance available to try to save time but just ended up waiting at the holding point for 10min while other full length aircraft got away.

In the climb we were vectored around somewhat due to slower climbing traffic ahead of us. Nothing too dramatic but it kept us busy for a while.

The fun started at top of descent when we were instructed to descend not above 290kts....then not above 250kts....then back to 220kts....then 200. By 40 miles to run we were slowed down to 170kts with flaps 15 due to that same slow traffic in front of us (don't know who it was but with us at 170kts, he was not opening distance). Due to all the slowing we request a wider DME arc onto the approach which we thought would also give the guy in front a shorter track than us an open out the distance. On the 26DME arc instead of the 24 DME arc at 6,500ft (MSA within 25DME) we needed to be visual to avoid terrain. We turned safely back inbound to conduct the LOC DME arrival for runway 33 at Cairns.

Over the threshold at 50ft and 133kts onto the centreline and World Flight 2008 was over for Steve and I. We would like to thank Nic, Karen & Neil for this opportunity and I hope that the RFDS fund raising effort has been better than ever.

Cheers!
Last edited by Nafenn on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
jasonjag
Banned

Great story and pics

Post by jasonjag »

Thankyou for shareing the story and pictures with us, they were great, P.S. love the sandwitches on the table. LOL. Thankyou jj
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

wow, impressive
these guys take their "hobby" (it seems degrading to call it that) very seriously.
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

spartacus wrote:wow, impressive
these guys take their "hobby" (it seems degrading to call it that) very seriously.
you have nooooooo idea
Nathan Fenn

spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

Nafenn wrote:
you have nooooooo idea
I don't dispute that for a second
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

spartacus wrote:
Nafenn wrote:
you have nooooooo idea
I don't dispute that for a second
If anyone has been in a full scale simulator its an enthrilling experiance!
I've closed the door!