HELP for Newcomer

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

skydancer
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-840; Yaesu VX5R; Degen DE1103; Uniden UBC120XLT

HELP for Newcomer

Post by skydancer »

Hi all aviation enthusiasts!

I am Gayle, a retired Registered Nurse, one-time recreational pilot and aircraft owner and ex-"ham" radio operator. My interest in flying and radio goes back to the 1940s.

Feeling a bit nostalgic I have just purchased a secondhand ICOM IC-R2 scanner and am delighted with its' performance on the airbands. Living in Greenmount I am directly under the inbound traffic to Perth from the ES with the giants of the air floating in very low and very beautiful to behold.
There is a beacon just across the street from me.

My knowledge of radio is extremely rusty nowadays, but I have quickly built a 1/4 wave groundplane antenna and put up a longwire and am now waiting on an antenna connection adapter to arrive from the ES to see how my homebrew base antennas perform. As it is, I can pick up Jandakot and Pearce and Perth Tower is clearly visible.

Now, re. my scanner which has many fuctions and capabilities far beyond my ability to understand or implement. It has 8 memory banks each able to store 50 frequencies or "channels." My trouble is, can only get nine frequencies to store in a bank (Ch 0-8). What am I doing wrong? - and please keep it very simple (I am in my mid 70s and get easily confused nowadays!)
- Gayle
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Surely someone can help this guy?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Hi Gayle,

I've never owned an Icom scanner, so I'm not familiar with how the IC-R2 is set up.

If you don't already have the user's manual for the scanner, you could download it as a PDF from here.

I've just had a quick look, and the instructions for programming frequencies into memory banks are on pages 12 and 13 of the manual... Do the instructions on those pages match what you're seeing on your scanner?

Regards,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Turbo wrote:Surely someone can help this guy?
guy? :roll:
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Yeah i was gunna say something too - but glad you beat me Bonez ;o)
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
skydancer
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-840; Yaesu VX5R; Degen DE1103; Uniden UBC120XLT

Reply from SkyDancer

Post by skydancer »

Yes I do have a manual but it is no help on this issue (that I can comprehend, anyway. Since I am primarily interested in listening to the airbands just to recall my flying days, it will actually be more convenient to program Perth, Jandakot and Pearce each into a seperate Bank. Then there are only a few of the HF broadcast frequencies that I listen to, mainly from the Middle East where I lived for years. Yes, I had a VK6 licence also and was in a RAAF Signals Unit almost 60 years ago, and no, I am not a "guy!"

Thanks anyway,

Sincerely,
Gayle

I'll leave the group as a member as I only wanted help on this issue.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Hi Gayle,

When you say the instructions don't help ... why is that? At what point of following the instructions does what you see on your display differ from what the instructions say you should be seeing?

Regards,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.